Sunday, July 26, 2009

Tour de Gyllenhaal? Tour de Stiller? Tour de Damon?

This is RC from StrangeCultureBlog with some scoops from the Tour de France.

Okay, so I'm not at the Tour, and am scoopless.

Today, the Tour de France ended with Lance Armstrong's return to the race after retiring with seven consecutive wins in 2005. In his return, he came in 3rd behind Astana teammate Alberto Contador.

Since at least 2006 there were Jake Gyllenhaal stalkers and rumors flying about Jake playing the part of Lance Armstrong in a biopic. In 2006 I did a post on my own blog including pictures of Gyllenhaal biking.

The rumors have continued that there would be this Lance Armstrong biopic and that Gyllenhaal is being considered for the part.

Although, since then new names have been added to the list, primarily Matt Damon and Ben Stiller.

Other names I've heard include Chris Pine and Robert Pattinson, but I can't see either of those sticking.

Although three years older, part of me would like to see Daniel Craig "go-American" and play this role, as I think he could have the looks and the right vibe, although if the biopic tells a story of a younger Lance, then maybe it's just out of Craig's range.

Who do you think could nail this role? Gyllenhaal? Stiller? Damon? Someone else?

And what'll this story be about, sports victory, marital difficulties, or thriving in the midst of cancer treatment?

Maybe they were waiting to see if he'd win today his return to Tour and tell an underdog story. I suppose that won't work out.

13 comments:

NATHANIEL R said...

if they don't focus on the cancer I'm not sure where the drama could come from. I mean he won ALL THE TIME. And everyone knows it. So that sort of limits the drama of the racing portion of his life.

I don't think any of the actors that have been rumored look anything like him. I guess I'm always hoping that they go with unknowns more often... let some new actor that's Lance like have a stab at fame.

that said, I have no objection to seeing Jake Gyllenhaal in spandex.

Hardy said...

I'm also for an unknown. None of the actors mentioned above don't remotely resemble Lance Armstrong. As much as I like Craig, there has to be a believability factor in the casting.

Scott said...

Hmmm, the first name that pops into my head (given demeanor and age) is Allesandro Nivola, but I am guessing he's not a big enough star for the part.

Scott said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
the boyfriend said...

Can I just say how thrilled I am that the Tour de France is being discussed. Even though it's under the guise of getting that Jake person in spandex. Congrats to Contador. Great ride, we'll definitely be seeing much more of him.

Jude said...

Jake. Definitely. And I hope Robert Pattinson is a joke. His 15 minutes should have ended after he was killed in the 4th Harry Potter film.

NATHANIEL R said...

Jude... since WB is being so greedy, needlessly splitting the last Potter film into two, maybe they should find a way to ressurect Pattison's character in the 7th film just so they can get even more publicity

RC said...

Jude, I hope Robert's name in the mix is a joke too. But hey, EW loves putting him on the cover --- I'm not sure where the fascination lies.

Jorge Rodrigues said...

Nathaniel, if they follow everything by the book, there is a scene near the end of the 7th book in which Cedric Diggory appears, along with Dumbledore, Harry's parents, etc.

So they could ask for Robert Pattz to make a cameo appearance...

Janice said...

God I think the last thing we need is a Lance Armstrong biopic because you know, that man's ego is JUST NOT BIG ENOUGH already.

And I don't think he looks a thing like Lance, but Daniel Craig in spandex? Who needs a biopic? Just get the man in tights and sign me up for that (intense) eyecandy.

Q said...

Why do we need this movie again? He's 37. What if he enters the Tour de Force again at say 60 and wins. Or 90. There's your movie. I say let's wait and see if that happens first. Because we definitely don't need Lance Armstrong 2... though I'm sure it's in the cards. Oh boy.

On a more important note... forget who's going to play Lance; who's gonna play SHERYL CROW?!? And are Kate Hudson and Ashley Olsen gonna make cameos as themselves? These are the real burning questions.

Anonymous said...

Obviuosly they should focus on the steroids abuse, the cheating and the lying nature of Armstrong.

RC said...

@ anon - I have a feeling if Armstrong is going to sell the rights to his life story they aren't going to focus on that. just a hunch.