Monday, September 06, 2010

Near, Far, Wherever Comments Are...

I just wanted to take a moment out to publicly thank those of you who take the time to comment. I do read them all. Comments aren't exactly a reliable gauge of how popular a post or "series" is, but they're fun to read nonetheless and can help with motivation on darker days. Some time ago I had to switch to "moderated" comments for any article that's not on the front page to prevent the spambots from touching the film experience in its private places -- No means no! -- so I read all those, too. Just for fun a few notes on brand new comments from old posts.


Robert T
is, like me, rattled that Disney is always trying to put Princess Aurora in a pink dress after the fact. It's just so wrong. Blue!

Sachin shared an alternative top 10 once confronted with the Top 50 Female Performances of the 00s. Hilary Swank shan't be denied her fans and Amy Ryan's Gone Baby Gone still has proponents. I've actually been thinking about the latter performance this week. I was wondering if anyone in Ben Affleck's The Town is going to seize awards traction by the balls the way Amy did in that earlier Affleck effort. [tangent] And I also saw the trailer to Jack Goes Boating wherein she romances Philip Seymour Hoffman. From the looks of the trailer she's playing this one in inverse noise proportion to her work on Gone Baby Gone. That's probably a smart move since PSH is directing and probably wants all the attention. He's purposefully making himself look even schlubbier than usual. Why must the cinema torture me with its sexism? They'd never let an actress equivalent of PSH anywhere near a camera, even if she was twice as talented as he. He gets lead roles and then purposefully looks worse than he needs to. If they need a woman to look "unattractive" they just hire someone breathtaking and forego makeup or they do prosthetic work to really drive the point home and win the gorgeous actress prizes for hiding her light under a bushel. (Nerve, touched.) [/tangent]

Finally, Derek added his voice to The Devil Wears Prada love from last Tuesday, calling Streep's work not just the best of 2006 but Best of the 00s period.

P.S. Hope you had a great holiday weekend or a weekend that felt like a holiday if it wasn't one for you.

P.P.S. Oscar prediction updates tomorrow.

P.P.P.S. Do you like the new banner? Now that it's up I'm totally wondering which of the six movie peoples will take my call. One Ringy Dingy. Two Ringy Dingy. Pick up!

23 comments:

John said...

If one of them called what would you ask him?her?

NATHANIEL R said...

i would ask elisabeth shue to make a sequel to adventures in babysitting. i'd ask joan crawford not to hurt me. Hmmm. what else?

Ryan said...

The trailer for Jack Goes Boating actually made me angry. It looked terrible, lazy and cliche. Then I saw that he directed it and promptly lost it.

One could say I'm not a fan of that ham.

Geneva said...

Hmm, I think Mulligan, Sidibe, Swinton and Monique all deserve to be the on the list for best of the decade. I would drop: Blanchett in Aviator, Daryl Hannah in Kill Bill, Blunt in Devil Wears Prada, Virgina Madsen in Sideways.

I would also add Julia Roberts in Closer to the list. It seems odd to have two Roberts performances on the list but to be honest, the older she gets the better and more subtle she gets. I am starting to really like her as an actress, even look forward to seeing her work.

cal roth said...

Grace Kelly for the banner! The movie is called Dial M for Murder, you know!

Lucky said...

Loved Roberts in Closer. I also think Jude Law is underrated in that

Alex said...

I'm actually kind of looking forward to Jack Goes Boating. It's the reason why PSH wore a freaking skull cap to the Oscars a couple years ago, right? I thought he looked like such a moron. I'm wondering if Ryan could maybe get a nomination since her performance looks SO different from what she did in Gone Baby Gone. And the role definitely has shades of Virginia Madsen in Sideways. Ryan and possibly screenplay are it's only Oscar hopes at this point, though Best Actor does seem a little weak. Who knows when Oscar wants to throw a Music of the Heart or Elizabeth: the Golden Age nomination at us...

Philip said...

Can't wait for the new predix!

I've been wondering if you could make a wiki, or each year in a different post on the blog, or just something so I can look back at all of your previous Film Bitch awards again. I know you said that you can't afford it anymore to keep them all up on their own site or whatever, but there must be some sort of alternative. :'( Haha.

Simon said...

I do love a good Informant! reference.

The Pretentious Know it All said...

Philip Seymour Hoffman actually makes me appreciate French cinema (be with me for a second).

They don't relegate their lovely and seasoned actresses to cable television (Deneuve, Huppert, etc).

Whereas if an actress reaches a certain age/ if she's the female equivalent of Hoffman (physically), she gets half the roles. Glass half full, over here.

Mel said...

Man, I actually want to see Jack goes boating, it looks good. I think it's not just the cinema that's sexist. I see Philip Seymour Hoffman looking all sloppy and I think he looks kinda cute... I'm pretty sure I wouldn't think the same thing about a woman dressed that way, and I'm a woman, I'm sure guys would hate it. I dunno know?

On a different note, I wish I could get a phone call from Gary Cooper! ;)

Anonymous said...

Always like your banners.
But where is a Luise Rainer photo with a phone from "The Great Zegfield"-it was the scene that won her the Oscar after all ??????

Michael said...

Judging from the trailer alone I'm getting some strong vibes off Jeremy Renner in The Town

/3rtfu11 said...

Nathaniel,

Good to know I’m not wasting energy posting replies. For the most part I feel many don’t agree with me. I’m a very sloppy communicator whenever I have to write a mini post. I feel like I have so much more to say. I love actresses but I’m in shock by some of the lame ducks you champion. But I’ve come around to embrace Gwyneth! See, I’m trying, really --- Laughs!

Michael Parsons said...

Read two reviews for 'The Town' (Empire and Total Film) and Total Film says the stand out performances come from Jeremy Renner, Chris Cooper and Blake Lively - for what that is worth (they both gave it 4 stars out of 5)

Unknown said...

On Jack Goes Boating, I recently went to screening and I kind of like it. It's pretty much as you would expect; and I offer somewhat muted praise. But Hoffman was fairly good in his stock role; he is subdued form (which I much prefer), and Amy Ryan is fairly good as well-- very opposite her role in Gone, Baby, Gone. It's a small, "quirky" indie. Personally I doubt it will get much attention when it opens.

Glenn said...

I'd want to see it more if it was called Jack Goes Drowning because I'm really into films with happy endings these days.

MRRIPLEY said...

lovin' shue circa 87.shame she is stuck in career limbo,where is her next sera!!!

cinephile said...

Speaking of Top Performances of the 00s, when will the Actresses and Actors of the Aughts project be updated / completed with regard to the whole decade?
Those were really great, detailed lists to read for anyone who loves cinema and acting.

Jesse said...

I'll take that call from Keener ANY day!...I'd add that the phone desperation from either actress in Heavenly Creatures would give good banner.

Not to mention perhaps my favorite phone call in a film: Judy Davis as Sally in Husbands and Wives. "I thought it was an experiment. I didn't know it was final. I didn't realize you were having an affair!" - "Bullshit! Don't give me that shit!" etc.

Paul Outlaw said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Paul Outlaw said...

Love the phone call banner!

If/when you update: Perce and George.

Heartbreaking...

NATHANIEL R said...

Jesse -- YES. thanks for the ideas.