Thursday, August 27, 2009

I Think About Movies Too Much.

I do. There's something wrong with me.

<--- I saw this headline on MSNBC today and my mind literally launched into an instant (and instantly inappropriate) interior monologue
Why would people want to watch The Abyss when they're broke? James Cameron's movies always look so expensive. But I'm glad people are rediscovering it. It's so blue and tense and claustr
A second later I realized that I was thinking about Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio (what happened to her?), mice who learn to breathe in water, Michael Biehn's moustache, serpentine watery intruders and mouth-to-mouth resuscitation instead of worrying about my fellow citizens and how they're going to pay their bills.


I think about movies all the time.

If you're reading I'm just assuming you have this problem, too. We're in it together and since nothing can be done we drink them up and learn to breath them in. There is no escape from this escapism.
*

14 comments:

cal roth said...

You MUST read this article Meryl Streep "wrote" for The Onion: http://migre.me/5YWd

So true. I've been saying that for ages.

Andrew K. said...

Oh this is just what I needed...a joke. Bring back fun and jokey Nathaniel.

PS...what is this is this I see. My darling Cate Blanchett on your banner? Surely my eyes deceive me? Seeing that she's already there check out this photo http://www.mannythemovieguy.com/images/cate_blanchett_maid_marian.jpg



Doesn't she look lovely? Sorry I had to ask.

Anonymous said...

do you guys realize your links don't work?

Anonymous said...

is the second person on your banner a drag queen? Looks like a man In a wig.

Jen said...

Oh Nathaniel, I totally love you. Thank you, that was awesome.

City_Of_Lights said...

Thank you cal. I'm sure followers of Streep enjoy that Onion sendup. But for moviefans like me who think she's completely overrated, and don't like most of her films to begin with, it's a very entertaining peice. Sorry Nathaniel but I just don't share the love for Meryl. But I do love your blog!

And to "Ms. Streep", I bought a copy of Heartburn from the bargain bin. But only to check out the Carly Simon song featured.

NATHANIEL R said...

anon -- could you be more specific. the links are coded to open up new windows. maybe your server says no?

NATHANIEL R said...

11:43... the man in drag is Daryl Hannah.

Wayne B said...

"There is no escape from this escapism." - Amen to that

Runs Like A Gay said...

Ha ha ha ha.

The way we cinephiles can take any level of human emotion or miery and instantly compare it to a movie is brilliant.

It's just like in Fever Pitch where everything that happens to the main characters can only be explained in terms of their relationship to football.

Blah de blah blah blah

poz pig said...

Mary Elizabeth was in Arthur Miller's A View from the Bridge in the West End this year. I didn't see the production but she did get fantastic reviews for it

Carl said...

Heck, I am unemployed and I still can't stop thinking about movies. I had exactly the same reaction a couple of weeks ago to seeing the words '...the Abyss" in the title of an entirely different article.

You have my sympathies (assuming you really want to get over it...)

mrripley said...

mem a real 80's 90's relic where is she and madeleine stowe.

NATHANIEL R said...

carl i gladly accept my fate!