Saturday, August 22, 2009

thefilmexperience.net

...is currently down. I've been reluctant to let it go for sentimental reasons -- [sniffle] it's where it all began -- and it's not gone for good (Sept 1st) but the costs have proven inhibitive as readership has risen over the years. Basically what meager profits I earn go to paying off overage expenditures. Finances are such that I can't afford overages anymore and am unable to accrue them.


I'm apparently too big to not be generating profit and too small to generate real profit and thus stuck in an endless non-profitable oroborus loop. The hosting site tells me that the podcasts are one of the biggest bandwidth drains which is weird because I wasn't sure anyone was listening and I haven't recorded one in awhile. I wanted them available as mp3s in case people didn't have iTunes but should I revive the audio casts, I guess I'll have to go iTunes only (which I don't have to pay for) or figure out a way to host them elsewhere?

Anyway... I apologize for the banality of this behind-the-scenes melodrama. It's not directed by Douglas Sirk and the leading lady is not glamorously unhappy... just financially depressed. The site will be back up on September 1st but by necessity I'll have to strip out some of its back content, podcasts and photos and such to prevent bandwidth overage$. I guess. I'll be tinkering.

The site will be back up on September 1st with updated Oscar prediction charts and the like. My apologies.

10 comments:

J.L said...

I was just worried it was shut down forever, but the blog will still be online, at least :)

notanotherblog said...

Your Oscar predix are essential, man. I'll be there when the site opens :)

Fernando Moss said...

Just remembered when I first discovered your web page (you didn't blog yet)... It was me at 15 or 16 I think when I waas searching for Michelle Pfeiffer in google and ended up in thefilmexperience.net and when I watched your Oscar predictions and coverage you made me an addict...

Glenn Dunks said...

Aw.

But, yes, at least it will return.

Wayne B said...

Fernando - Me too. Except I was searching for Oscar prediction stuff instead of Michelle Pfeiffer. That really sucks about the site being down, it was my favourite one during my senior year. I hope everything works out though and that you don't have to trim out too much content.

Tim said...

Oh God. I was just headed over there to read your review of The Piano - having now safely completed my own - and I nearly had a heart attack thinking it the site had been nuked. I eagerly await 9/1.

David Giancarlo said...

Will the Film Bitch awards still be archived? That's what I most often visit the site for, so I can fill in the gaps of the notable films I've missed this decade,

Nicola said...

I'm with David. I'll be really sad of the Film Bitch Awards go. One of my favourite parts of the site AND so helpful when I'm trying to make up my mind for my personal wins for the year.

BillBill said...

You might have to resort to keeping the blog and ditching everything else. Put all of the past Film Bitch Awards and predictions into Word files or PDFs, and get rid of the podcasts since they seem to take up so much bandwidth. You won't have all of the fancy pictures and graphics and podcasts, but the blog only is better than nothing. Times are hard. Do what you gotta do I guess.

Arkaan said...

Nathaniel, I'm not sure if it's possible, but could you post that where the "temporary unavailable" comment is on the domain right now? I access the blog through the website and it took me a while to realize that something fishy was going on.