Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Mad Men at the Movies 1.2

Sharing the movie references in Mad Men episodes just for fun, love of trivia, open discussions and occasional enlightenment.

1.2 "Ladies Room"

Paul: [conducting a tour of the office] Account Management: Where prep schoolers skip arm in arm a la The Wizard of Oz, joined together by their lack of skill and their love of mirrors. Account executives are all good at something ...although it's never advertising.

[Pointing to an office. In Rod Sterling voice] Submitted for your approval, one Peter Campbell, a man who recently discovered that the only place for his hand is in your pocket.

Do you watch it?!? Have you seen it, The Twilight Zone?

Peggy Olson: I don't think so. I don't like science fiction.
The image of account executives skipping like pig-tailed girls from Kansas makes me smile. And speaking of pig-tailed girls... OF COURSE Peggy doesn't like science fiction. Is there anyone on the show more focused on reality as is? I mean apart from her temporary break from it.

Other Arts & Entertainment references
Television:
"People Are Funny", Nixon's Checkers broadcast and "Shirley Temple's Storybook".

5 comments:

mB said...

I JUST (re)watched that episode last night! Also: I love how Paul follows up his Twilight Zone tirade with a fanboy-ism ("If they cancel it, I'd kill myself!").

Ben said...

I love how unfailingly polite Peggy is, even though she doesn't have a clue what Paul is on about.

Deborah said...

I can't believe I missed the Wizard of Oz reference. I purposely left out Twilight Zone because it's a TV reference, but damn.

I'm updating the list constantly, so check back!

Katey said...

It's funny how pop-culture savvy all those young account execs are-- Paul Kinsey with his movie references, Ken Cosgrove and his literary career, Pete Campbell seemingly creating his personality based on the image of grown-ups in films (and, perhaps, his dad). That generation may have been influenced by pop culture more than any others that came before it-- these guys were the Rebel Without a Cause teenagers 8 years earlier.

God I love this show.

Speed dating affiliate said...

I saw the episode and i love Peggy of being polite.
Speed dating affiliate