Friday, August 07, 2009

Streep at 60: Julie & Julia

Bonjour! My weekly column at Towleroad is up in which I fall for the trap of using food puns to talk about Julie & Julia. Hey, my life is as bifurcated as this movie lately. I'm working with tight windows of time here and the food words are so easy to sprinkle and stir into the review batter. Consider this the last review for my dormant "Streep at 60" series which I will continue when I can finally find a free day.

The Review
If you generally catch dinner after your weekend movie, rethink the order before catching Julie & Julia. It'll help you passively enjoy this foodie's dream movie rather than drooling on it actively. Though the movie shares its title with Julie Powell's blog-turned-novel "Julie & Julia" which chronicled her attempt to cook all of the recipes in Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking", the narrative is doubled. The movie version also includes the origin story of Julia Child as she journeyed from culinary student to famous chef. The parallels between Powell (Amy Adams) and Child (Meryl Streep) are broadly and pleasurably drawn by the movie: two restless women with devoted, patient husbands, find self-fulfillment through cooking. And cooking. And cooking some more. I suspect the double stuffed film will be easiest to enjoy while leisurely digesting.

If there's a missing ingredient in the movie's fun recipe, it's dramatic conflict...

*

16 comments:

FrenchGirl said...

the picture with Meyl Streep is terrifying!LOL

Alison Flynn said...

I can't wait to see this. I'm not a Nora Ephron fan but it doesn't matter. I'll see anything with Meryl Streep and she looks glorious in this based on the trailers.

Unknown said...

I saw it last night and simply loved it! Meryl Streep shines as Julia Child and Amy Adams is just divine! I love anything both of them are in.

Cinesnatch said...

Well, after watching the trailer to the (finally) titled "It's Complicated," (what, are producers getting their film title ideas from Facebook now?), it's pretty much safe to say that Streep's "J&J" performance is a go for an Oscar nom.

Curses on my lousy guesses for the Actressexual Contest. Looks like I'm headed for 1.5/5 at best. Oh well. I'm ready for next year. Haha.

Christine said...

When's the book based on your blog coming out, Nat? Hopefully, Michelle Pfeiffer will agree to star in it.

JustJosh said...

Can't wait to see this! Watching it tonight. Go Meryl! :=)

palle said...

Nat, what are your thoughts about Streep´s oscar chances after seeing the movie? Do you still think she will compete in supporting for this?

Chrystal K. said...

I think I might actually like to see this movie.

DJ said...

I saw the film today and really adored it, much more than I thought I would! Streep was stunning, and should easily land a nomination if not a win this year (if she ends up competing against newbies, she's got the Oscar). Adams was also good, but she could hold up to Streep's juicier performance. 8/10 for me.

DJ said...

could not*

Anonymous said...

Just saw it and it was way more fun than some of the lukewarm descriptions of it. It just felt so full. And I adored Streep and Tucci together. Adams and Messina were also very sweet together. Romance (when you're already married to this wonderful person!) plus food (and Paris) - such fun.

NATHANIEL R said...

palle no. i'm sure they'll switch her to lead before december hits. one of those obvious two lead films... not that that ever stops people from trying to claim one of them is actually supporting.

christine from your mouth (fingers?) to god's ears.

pradeep said...

hi friend i like this picture very much,

Moremony services said...

hi i saw this picture, i like it

Anonymous said...

Loved the picture, loved the cast, loved the sets and costumes. How could you not love the character of Julia Child and the portrayal of her life and passions (both cooking and her husband).

The movie was witty and warm. However, that being said, I was extremely disappointed to see a microphone in the top of several shots. Not to mention the frame missing part of a written caption stating location at the bottom being off "kilter".

This was a top notch movie with an exemplary cast. What happened to the quality of the movie making. It fell a little short and I feel that was an insult to all of the talent assembled to write, produce, and perform.

Still in all, it is well worth the time and money to go and see this move. I will be purchasing the DVD when released and would love to see a sequel sharing more of the life of Mr. and Mrs. Child.

Attorney said...

hello ,I can't wait to see this. I'm not a Nora Ephron fan but it doesn't matter.