Wednesday, August 12, 2009

I'm A Barbie Boy In A Lego World

.
JA from MNPP here, addressing the big news of the day: making all of our deepest darkest dreams-we-didn't-even-know-we-had come true, they're trying to make a movie about Legos. Cue the brass-band and the flaming-baton-throwers! Hollywood is throwing a parade and it's marching straight down to Hell, do not pass Go, do not collect 200 million dollars.

"Movies based on toys couldn't be hotter in Hollywood, with nearly every studio adapting playthings for the bigscreen.

Now count Warner Bros. as one of those studios: WB is toying with plans to develop a movie around Lego and its popular building blocks.

Scribes Dan and Kevin Hageman are penning the script for the family comedy that will mix live action and animation. Warners is keeping the plot tightly under wraps, but it's described as an action adventure set in a Lego world."

This is where I mentally (Nat doesn't like it when I type curse words on his blog) hurl every nasty curse I can imagine in the general direction of Pirates of the Carribbean, Transformers, and G.I. Joe for being successful.

"... The f - it -flam - flames. Flames, on the side of my face,
breathing-breathl- heaving breaths. Heaving breath... "

Redundant groans about Hollywood's bankrupt brain aside, my first thought when confronted with this news was actually an impossibly sunny one: Hire Michel Gondry and make it look like this!

.

.

That won't happen, and I'm not sure I could stare at 90 minutes of that on a large screen, but still, Legos have brought the world their own sort of visual splendor in the not-so-distant past. It's important to look at the good side of Life! (And I mean The Game of Life, of course.)

What game are you anxiously awaiting a film based off of? Hungry Hungry Hippos? Guess Who? I actually dreamt up my own yesterday oddly enough.
.

8 comments:

MarieJose said...

I truly start to fear for our future. Not just the future of movies, but the future of mankind. The stupidest, brain-deadening films are being watched by millions of people, whereas actual films that require some thinking can't even get a distributor. I'm quite afraid to see what it will be like in five to ten years ... On the other hand, maybe a revolt is brewing??? No?

mB said...

LOL

I love that piece of dialogue from Clue. Oh such a bad film (except for the multiple endings which I enjoy and occasional bits of brilliant wit and/or outlandish camp)

Ryan Ray said...

Clue is most certainly NOT bad. I would say it is definitely the best movie made from a board game...even though I cannot think of another. I always thought a dark version of Candyland would be interesting.

Ben said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4OmQrzyLlE&feature=PlayList&p=AEBAA6B7B877F603&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=89

There would have to be some serious alterations to Guess Who if this is anything to go by...

The Medwenitsch said...

I want a "Tetris-live-action-drama" NOW!

Glendon said...

Ridley Scott's Monopoly is apparently still in the works.

NATHANIEL R said...

does anyone remembre that game "SORRY" ? and is that the same game where you had to pop the bubble in the middle of the board to make the dice hop and find out how far you could move? oh no wait that was TROUBLE.

board games as movies = Not a good idea... (Clue aside since it's all based on an imagined flexible story) although board games from film and television don't have to be bad . I think the Buffy board game is actually pretty good.

oh and JA i'm actually surprised Hungry Hungry Hippo isn't in development ;) At least as an animated feature

Chris Na Taraja said...

CLUE was awful, except for M. Khan's flames on the side of the face moment.