Friday, April 09, 2010

We Can't Wait: YOU WILL MEET A TALL DARK STRANGER

Jose here with my orphan entry in the We Can't Wait series.

You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger
Directed by: Woody Allen
Starring: Antonio Banderas, Josh Brolin, Anthony Hopkins, Freida Pinto, Lucy Punch, Naomi Watts



Synopsis: Set in London, the movie centers around a number of people in a family, their assorted love lives, as they try to work out complicated romances.
Yes, that sounds like almost every Woody film but with him you never really know what the movie's about until it finally comes out.
Brought to you by: Sony Pictures Classics
Expected release date: September 23 in the US with a tentative premiere at the Cannes Film Festival in May.

Announced the day after the 2009 Oscars as Freida Pinto's new project, the film is surrounded by that air of mystery that always accompanies the Woodsman's work. Nicole Kidman was involved at some point (allegedly playing a hooker), dropped out and her part was given to the practically unknown Lucy Punch, then there were mix ups as to whether this was the movie where French First Lady Carla Bruni would appear. Turns out it's not... she'll be in the next Parisian-set movie with Marion Cotillard.

<--- the Punch & Tony show

Given the way in which Woody works (write while filming, film while post-producing and release while pre-producing next movie) the plot is unclear but with that cast and given the recent renaissance the director has achieved shooting in Europe this could be fantastic. I'm also dying to know what he saw in Pinto, who beautiful and all, didn't exactly show great acting chops in Slumdog Millionaire. For all we know this could turn out to be his next Vicky Cristina Barcelona or result in a flop, like the underrated Whatever Works; with Woody we always can put our hopes up for the movie he'll release the following year.

Do you think his one movie a year thing is effective or should he devote himself to a "special" project where we'd have to wait years for his next release?

"We Can't Wait: Summer and Beyond"
The "orphan" picks Nathaniel (Burlesque), JA (Love and Other Drugs), Jose (You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger), Craig (What's Wrong With Virginia?), Robert (True Grit) and Dave (Brighton Rock); Team Film Experience Countdown #12 It's Kind of a Funny Story, #11 Sex & the City 2, #10 Scott Pilgrim vs the World, #9 Somewhere, #8 The Kids Are All Right, #7 The Illusionist, #6 Toy Story 3, #5 Inception, #4 Rabbit Hole, #3 Never Let Me Go, #2 Black Swan and #1 The Tree of Life.

22 comments:

Noecitos said...

I think he should wait between projects. I enjoyed Whatever Works, but VCB bored me a lot (except Rebecca Hall and Penélope Cruz). His last masterpiece was Match Point (5 years ago) though then again it was a film produced in only a year so who the hell knows why I'm typing all this nonsense?

I would certainly be more interested if Nicole was still on board but I'll watch this with my hopes up... London was a great inspiration after all.

Iggy said...

I'm divided. Being completely selfish, I want my annual Woody Allen film. But on the other hand, looking at his last movies I think the reason why they don't always work might be because his rushed working method only works with some actors. Others, in spite of their talent seem completely lost. And I miss the good old days of great ensemble casts in his works (i.e. Hannah & Her Sisters or Bullets Over Broadway). It's so painful to see talented actors that would do anything to work with him just wandering around and reading their lines. So, I guess he should take some time to work on something special and/or find another Keaton/Farrow muse to work regularly with.

On a related note, I heard (not really a reliable source, just a rumor), Almodóvar's next (this fall) will most likely star Antonio Banderas.

Anonymous said...

I think this one will be good if not great, as long as it is good then critics will hail it until it becomes overpraised.
Woody or critics seems to alternate when it comes to good work or in giving him praise - Cassandra Dreams was not great, VBC was good, Whatever Works was not great, YWMaTS will be good, his next one will not be great........

JD said...

this is the role nicole kidman left http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/bg/Naomi+Anthony+work+Woody+icy_BdfPsksl.jpg

cjmovieman said...

I am so excited. I remain one of Woody Allen's biggest fans. Match Point and VCB were amazing. Whatever Works was fun but not exactly revolutionary and Cassandra's Dream wasn't too good. I think this one shows much more promise though.

NATHANIEL R said...

I personally *love* the title.

But... he's so uneven these days. And the cast list isn't doing anything for me even though i like some of them in some things (and I'm happy that someone is giving Lucy Punch another shot)

City_Of_Lights said...

I can't wait for the film. I am hoping that Naomi and Woody make beautiful music together. As long as it's far away from VCB territory I should be pleased. Anticipating as well the next film with Cotillard, my new personal fave.

JD, Is that Punch with Hopkins? If so I'm not as disappointed that Kidman isn't in the cast.

Rahm said...

I'm also wondering what he saw in Freida Pinto. Hell, I'm wondering what ANYONE sees in her other than the whole she's beautiful thing. I have a feeling she's another one of those beautiful with no actual talent "actresses". Here's hoping she proves me wrong.

Robert said...

Yeah, I'm not sure a new Woody Allen film is ever going to fill me with excitement anymore.

Hope perhaps.

Anonymous said...

Pinto is a joke, she can not dance because she has 2 left foots and wants to sing, also anyone can know if she can act since was almost a cameo in Slumdong... I hate Antonio Banderas who I know he can not act

IslandLiberal said...

Regarding Pinto, I thought she was decent in "Slumdog"; with such a passive character and so little screentime, it's probably difficult to do a huge amount.

Her next two films are this one and another with Julian Schnabel ("The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"), who cast her as his lead, so clearly they must think she's got talent.

Anonymous said...

sometimes directors can not decide who will work in his movie or take a decition thinking in a knowed name for the audience, I mean that Schnabel is not Peter Jackson, his power is limited and restricted for producers, a friend of mine is working in Hollywood as director and he can not work with his choices for leading roles.
I think this girl does not have magnetism and talent enough, also is not so pretty.

Anonymous said...

Also Naomi Watts has worked for many years untill lead a movie and Pinto with an insignificant role in a single movie is sharing the leading cast with her? how come?

NATHANIEL R said...

to be fair to Pinto we don't know the size of her role. If you're in a Woody movie with other name actors you can have anywhere from a cameo to the lead. we've seen it time and time again. remember when elisabeth shue and daryl hannah were in woody allen movies?

yeah, few people do.

Anonymous said...

I love directors who work with actors who don't fall into the category of "the best or most talented", give everyone a chance and see what they can do is what I say. I am not a fan of Pinto since she has not done anything yet but I see no reason why she should not play the roles that she is being offered or be credited alongside Naomi Watts.

Anonymous said...

I've heard Josh Brolin and Anthony Hopkins are great in this. Also, Lucy Punch is said to be very funny. Look out for her in the Best Supporting Actress category.

Glenn said...

I look forward to every new Woody Allen movie until the marketing comes out and then I decide. Sometimes they look dodgy like Whatever Works and other times you can just tell it's gonna be a good one.

Anonymous said...

Pinto follows that list of bad choices in Allen's movies like Penelope Cruz who is a very limited actress

NATHANIEL R said...

Glenn... i guess that's true of me too.
i thought WHATEVER WORKS was pretty terrible but i was excited about it until the trailer when i realized it was more Larry David and Woody stale than Woody fresh

Jesue Valle said...

Nooo! I need my Woody Allen film fix every year, I don't care if they're sometimes sub-par - there's always a Match Point or a Vicky Cristina Barcelona among the Scoop and Whatever Works. And I'm hoping that You'll Meet a Tall Dark Stranger will be one of the formers.

Clover said...

I really don't know about this one. I love Woody but he's VERY uneven lately. I hope Europe is good for him, given that New York hasn't been these past years. I didn't like Whatever Works, but you could tell there was a good movie there, somewhere, that could've worked if he had given it more time. I love having Woody Allen films every year, but maybe he could take 2 years and make better ones?

Burning Reels said...

Othet than a couple of scenes, I don't see why people praise Match Point - a flyby tourist's view of London if there ever was one...