Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Curio: All Things Audrey

Alexa from Pop Elegantiarum here. Audrey Hepburn would have been 81 today. Like many girls I spent my preteen years idolizing Audrey. From moment she brazenly chopped her hair in Roman Holiday, she has been the icon that all those manic pixies (e.g. Natalie and Winona) have chased after. And before Saint Angelina it was Audrey who was our humanitarian angel, trekking through Africa on behalf of UNICEF. In honor of her birthday, here are some of the more creative celebrations of her out there right now.


This illustration by Caitlin Kuhwald, titled "Audries," seems to show Audrey Tatou asking herself the perennial question, "What Would Audrey Do?"


Ms. Tatou is not the only one to notice that fabulous dress from Sabrina. Here, in Kate Gabrielle's charming imagination, Eloise tries it on for size.


Of course, there is the ever-popular Holly Golightly. It's still hard to imagine that Capote's novella was inspired by Marilyn; Audrey just grabbed the role and made it her own. All you need to see is her profile, like in these choice pieces of Breakfast at Tiffany's apartment decor, and you're ready for that cocktail. The chalkboard is available here; the pillow, here.


And to use the morning after those cocktails, you can fashion yourself a Holly Golightly sleeping mask like this one.



Finally, I have to include one of the charming odes to Holly Golightly created by the prolific El Lohse. You can buy prints at her shop.

7 comments:

Deborah said...

It's my birthday!!

I have a crappy birthday for stars. My sister has Al Pacino, Hank Azaria, and Ella Fitzgerald! I have Audrey, true, and awesome, but otherwise not an auspicious day for stardom.

Robert said...

YES! I have a big old portrait of Audrey hanging in my living room. People assume it's my fiancee's and I have to put up with it.

And then I get going on how I'm just two people removed from having touched Audrey. Only two degrees!!!!!

(and breathe)

badmotherfucker said...

I'm seconding the whole "straight guys like Audrey Hepburn, too" thing. It's like we're unicorns, man!

Robert Hamer said...

If anyone is interested, Nick Davis just posted a review of Hepburn's performance in The Nun's Story on his blog.

K. said...

I heart Audrey! And I miss her! She's my favorite actress of all time and, more than that, a role model in my life.

filmonline said...

Интересный пост достойный внимания. Однозначно в закладки.

adri said...

Among the many things I love about Audrey Hepburn is her ability to bring out the best in her co-stars. The movie in which they co-starred with Audrey is often my favorite movie of theirs, Peter O'Toole never more romantic than in "How to Steal a Million", Albert Finney most full-faceted (and romantic too) in "Two for the Road", George Peppard ALMOST bearable in "Breakfast at Tiffany's"; one of Bogart's bests in Sabrina, and Fred Astaire looking his most delighted in "Funny Face". I'd be delighted too.