Thursday, September 01, 2005

New Orleans

I don't have much to say about the horrible ongoing devastation other than donate if you can . On a more personal note, I do want to mention that I had the chance to spend a week in New Orleans five years ago. It was a business trip but I spent almost every night out and about in the French Quarter wandering around, trying to soak it all in. I am not normally a good tourist...but I remember that week vividly. Whatever I chose to do, from vampire tours to walking around by myself to drinks with amazingly friendly locales, I enjoyed myself immensely. A great city. A great loss.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Recently, toward the end of the school, our school's jazz department participated in a jazz festival in New Orleans. We sang on a riverboat, got to enjoy an AMAZING local school's music department, learned a great deal from a locally famous trumpet player, and our jazz choir sang in a particularly memorable club. The first night, my friends and I were out till around 1:00 am on Bourbon street. In short, it was an amazing, vivid, and often TASTY experience. The architecture and culture are beautiful, as well as the people. It is, most certainly, a tragic loss. I feel fortunate to have experienced it before the hurricane. I'm so happy our school is putting on a special show to raise money for Hurricane Relief. So many friendships of mine were strengthened while in that city. I will never forget it, and I hope it is eventually restored.

Anonymous said...

*sigh* I've already donated my quota this year towards the Asian tsunami victims.

It is incredibly sad though.

However, it sort of just begs the question: Why did they build a city below sea-level? It's sort of like building a sand-castle and not expecting it to crumble from the waves.

-Glenn

Anonymous said...

Oh, i don't feel bad anymore, because America doesn't need our help, apparently.

That's swell.

-Glenn

Anonymous said...

My company sent me to New Orleans this year at your birthday. I had a wonderful time, and am also saddened by the loss.

I donated to the Red Cross through my company's employee matching program.

Linda