Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Junebug

It isn't without its flaws but I think Junebug is worth investigating. A little confounding in spots: Some of the directorial flourishes --maybe it's a North Carolina thing. It may also be overly ambitious and too long or overstuffed for what you're actually left with in the end. Which is...what exactly? Individually some of the scenes are super but together. Hmmm. Even though I don't think the film is entirely successful it's definitely its own thing. And that's always a good thing. Particularly for a debut film. So kudos to first time creative team, director Phil Morrison and writer Angus Maclachlan. They're two to watch.

The cast is good too. I will talk about my husband Allesandro Nivola at some later date. I promise. Amy Adams is getting most of the critical attention and has the most endearing character. I also can't neglect mentioning that Celia Weston (Far From Heaven, In the Bedroom) who plays the mother Peg continues to be one of the most perfect character actresses out there, a sturdy secret weapon for filmmakers. (B)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, I LOVED Junebug. I found it very funny in just the right moments and ultimately very touching. I went crazy over Amy Adams like everyone else, and hers is the nicest role, but I also thought Embeth Davitz gace a very intriguing performance. What, after all is the film, about, though? It's obviously about red-state/blue-state sensibilities and their conflicting value systems, but I don't think the film is content to take sides, which is what makes it so interesting to me. I feel like Davitz' character wins out in the end, but at no small price. She has benefited her career because of bigotry and she has not won over the family she thought she would. And I'm not sure I wouldn't (a blue state man, myself) do the exact same thing she did were the opportunity to arise. AND I don't know how I feel about my own moral sensibilities because of it. I mean, maybe the red-staters are right about some things: maybe my morality IS questionable.

The film has its issues of course: Celia Weston's sterotypical mom being one of them. But also the younger brother character and the film's roving points of view. And, the irresponsible use of the gorgeous Alessandro Nivola who had NOTHING to do in this film but look cute. The end resolved a lot for me, but I understand being let down by it. I like that the answers in the film don't come easy...

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work » »