Wednesday, June 28, 2006

VERSUS

It's all about the tussles right now. And I'm not talking Supes versus Lex --I'll get to that soon enough. I'm talking actor vs. actor and actress vs. actress. Not real tussles mind you but blog showdowns.

You'll have to wait until tomorrow night to see who wins the very very tight race between Jude Law and Gael Garcia Bernal to wear the crown in the Top 100 Actors of the Aughts list. And, if I believed in ties, that's what this would be. But I don't. *sigh*

Have you voted in the reader poll for best of the decade? If you haven't go now: Gyllenhaal --my #12 this decade-- is slaughtering his competition. Even more than Kidman did in the ladies polling. His nearest rivals at this point are Heath Ledger, Johnny Depp, and Gael Garcia Bernal.

FINALLY if you still need more actorly battles you really must read Joe Reid's ingenious and highly amusing Mad Actresses Beyond Thunderdome feature. It's only the first round of his unique take on this listmania.

I can't wait for the rest.

10 comments:

Jason Adams said...

I'm kind of surprised... I've only bothered to vote once, and still Jake's killin the competition... I feel so useless. If I'm not needed to rig a competition in Jake's favor, what purpose to I have in life?

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way. I prefer Jude Law myself (in looks and talent), though i have no beef against Jake.

I feel like Law could have easily played either part in Brokeback as good as Gyllenhaal or Ledger. But I do not believe Jake could have played Inman to the level Law portrayed him. Same with A.I.

I didn't think Law's work in Closer was his best, though.

Anonymous said...

I wanted to vote for Jude Law as he's definitely my favorite current working actor, but I didn't see him on the list at first sight and voted for Ewan McGregor instead. Oh well, I went with my second favorite so it's all good anyway.

And "WOW!" at all the votes for Gyllenhaal, but I'm fine with him as well.

Yaseen Ali said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Yaseen Ali said...

Not very happy with the overwhelming support for Jake. I love him, and yes, he's brilliant in Brokeback, but he hasn't really reached the consistent highs met by Wilkinson, Law, Del Toro, etc in their recent films. Gyllenhaal has quantity for sure, but have they all been knock-out efforts? I'd have him exactly where Nathaniel placed him - close to the top ten, but not in it.

Javier Aldabalde said...

Er... Didn't know Gyllenhaal's fanbase was so overwhelming. Seriously, get a grip people (and in a decade full of Bernal, McKellen, Leung and McGregor...)

Glenn Dunks said...

I voted for Bale. Other than Brokeback and Donnie Darko Gyllenhaal still has some work to do.

Emma said...

Am delighted to see the right man winning. This almost redeems him coming 12.

Anonymous said...

I voted Jake. The word "favorite" swung it. If you'd said "best", I'd have voted elsewhere (as terrific an actor as Jake clearly is).

Rob

The Chemistry Guru said...

well said rob.
The vote is indeed for favourite and while jake may not have the experience of the wilkinsons and mcgregors yet, he's definitely heading that way.