Monday, January 01, 2007

2007 Wish List

I'm keeping my New Year's Resolutions to myself but here is my wishlist for 2007. I'm trying to not to be too greedy. But re: the following seven things. Pretty pretty pretty please.
  • Michelle's Pfeiffer's comeback. There's three movies. Let at least one of them be awesome and well received. May she be smart enough to follow them with a challenging drama for 2008 and use the momentum of 07 to win her 19-years-overdue Oscar. Damn you Jessica Tandy!
  • Paul Thomas Anderson's comeback. It's been four plus years since we saw something from this young director (Punch-Drunk Love) and even longer since he flexed his possible-heir-to-Altman ensemble skills (Boogie Nights & Magnolia). I have high hopes for There Will Be Blood
  • A movie I deeply and truly love. This year has been bereft of them. Give me another Far From Heaven, Brokeback, Moulin Rouge!, In the Mood for Love, or A History of Violence.
  • Spider-Man 3. The first two are the best superhero movies ever made. Let it be as fun, eye popping, and well constructed as the last two. Bow out on top.
  • When the year is over, let there be a reason for a cutesy titled article: How Julianne (Moore) Got Her Groove Back.
  • Sweeney Todd's transfer to film. I don't have high hopes. Tim Burton, Tim Burton's muse, Tim Burton's wife, and a bunch of other non-singers: Prove me wrong. Work shocking unlikely magic. I beg this of you. This is one of the greatest pieces of musical theater ever written. Do right by the material.
  • A year filled with film experiences worth writing and reading about.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really hope Paul and Julianne make a comeback. In fact, I hope they work together. And soon.

Glenn Dunks said...

Michelle Pfeiffer - Yes. For the love of god YES. I must say that none of here three films scream "I DEMAND YOUR LOVE!" like some of her other films have, but I have high hopes she'll make her Hairspray role super fun and will be queen bitch in Stardust

PTA - Meh. Call me when he stops trying to be Robert Altman

Spiderman 3 - 2 is a classic, 1 is all-but forgotten by me. I hope it's more like the third.

Julianne - I have doubts that it will happen before the end of this decade. Somebody needs to knock some sense into that woman.

Sweeney Todd - I still can't picture Depp singing, essentially, opera. That is what Sweeney Todd is, right? Opera. I've never heard the score of that unfortunately, I need to seek it out.

StinkyLulu said...

I'm good with all of these, Nat.

Especially the movie to love...

adam k. said...

Well, I kind of love The Fountain. I get that it has flaws, but I think they're the fault of the budget cuts and not of the director himself. I'm toying with giving it a full-out A.

I thought PTA stopped trying to be Robert Altman when he made Punch-Drunk Love. But frankly, now that the man is gone, I wouldn't mind a master imitator holding the torch.

Doesn't Savage Grace come out this year? That could be THE ONE, you guys...

Sil said...

spiderman 2 was a mess to me!!!1hated it to no end!! but i look forward to seegin venom and sandman in part 3!

Sil said...

spiderman 2 was a mess to me!!!1hated it to no end!! but i look forward to seegin venom and sandman in part 3!

Anonymous said...

Nat, I hate to tell you, but Michelle will be following up the 3 films with a cameo in the Prince and the Pauper with...gulp...Dean Cain and her sister DeDee Pfeiffer....i'm sure it was just a favor to her sister, and its a cameo, but this should never happen.

also, I fear she will take another long break, I get the feeling she thinks 1 lead role and 2 supporting roles in 2007 will be enough for another 5 years....but who knows maybe she'll sign onto Mama Mia! afterall, although, like you, I wish she would just stick with dramas, that's when she's at her best.

Anonymous said...

I loved the first two "Spiderman" movies when I saw them in the theater, but neither held up for me on DVD.

Anonymous said...

Love your choices Nat!

I'm going for the un-obvious:

I'm such a diehard Noah Baumbach fan so I want "Margot at the Wedding" to be anywhere near amazing as "The Squid and the Whale".

Glenn Dunks said...

Has Savage Grace actually been filming?

russtifer said...

There Will Be Blood...cannot wait for that one. Always a special occasion when a PTA film comes out.

For all our sakes I'm hoping your Michelle Pfeiffer wish comes true. ;)

OhMyTrill said...

I'm so scared of the sweeney on film (johnny d in the lead role?)...and yes, PTA needs to come back...I luv Boogie Nights

adam k. said...

IMDB says Savage Grace is in post and due out next year. Filming apparently took less than a month.

Anonymous said...

JULIANNE MOORE


"I'm Not There" by "Far From Heaven" director Todd Haynes
AND: "SAVAGE GRACE" which is shot and will be showed at the TORONTO FILM FESTIVAL (10 september 2007) , at the SAN SEBASTIAN FILM FESTIVAL (23 september 2007) and the AFI FILMFESTIVAL (13 november 2007)!!!
"Savage Grace" will start in november 2007 in the USA.
Julianne's part in "Savage Grace" sounds oscar-worthy.

She won't disappoint us.

( I already wrote that at "Obnoxious performances of the year". by the way -if you haven't read that:

JULIANNE MOORE IN FREEDOMLAND IS NO CINEMATIC SHAME!!! )

Anonymous said...

PTA is one hottie of a man. Add him, along with Joe Wright, to the list of attractive directors...