Sunday, January 21, 2007

"Fifty Bucks Says You Don't Look This Good In Your Fifties"

...that's what I imagine Geena Davis saying in this photo which was taken about a year ago.

I'll admit to intermittent amnesia when it comes to the fabulous Ms. Davis but for awhile in the 90s it was tough to beat her. She was really on top of the game. An Oscar in March of 1989, a starring role in a hotbutton classic in 1991 (Thelma & Louise), carrying a big hit in 1992 (A League of Their Own) in which she replaced an 'it girl' from the 1980s: Debra Winger. Hollywood is quite the merry go round, in'nt it? People jump on, they get dizzy and fall off, they marry Finns who destroy their careers...

Geena Davis may not be the star she once was, but I'm always hoping she'll surprise us with one more great movie role. Even if she never acted again though she'd hold a special place in my heart just for "Thelma". One of my favorite line readings of all time belongs to her in that film. She and Louise (Susan Sarandon) are trying to determine what to do next and they both realize that returning to their past lives is no longer an option.
Something's, like, crossed over in me and I can't go back. I mean I couldn't live.
She's so earnest in her delivery and so surprisingly unsurprised. And she's sunburnt (good look on both those ladies, btw). God, I love that scene.

Happy birthday Geena!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ehhh, she was good in Thelma and Louise but, i've never been too impressed with her. she does look great though. BTW, Pfeiffer deserved Supporting Actress over her in '88! ...sigh

Anonymous said...

She was fantastic in Accidental Tourist, a role that probably would have gone to Kate Winslet today.

Glenn Dunks said...

She looked terrible at the Golden Globes. But she's a lovely lass. Not a big fan, but she has a piece of me for being in Thelma & Louise.

Pedro said...

santiago
When I saw Thelma and Louise in 1992, I adored Susan Sarandon. I re-watched it 4 months ago, and I preferred Geena. I also wish to see both of them in more movies (maybe take something away from Strip).

adam k. said...

Jesus f***ing Chirst, she looks like she's 29.

I LOVE you, Geena. Always will.