Friday, March 30, 2007

Now Playing 03/30

all links go to official sites with trailers...

Limited Release
After the Wedding. You've all heard me go on and on about the talents of Danish director Susanne Bier (Brothers). She's no longer working with Michelle Pfeiffer on an upcoming film (damn!) but she is crossing the water soon for Things We Lost in the Fire starring Halle Berry and Benicio Del Toro. But before that arrives, enjoy last year's foreign film nominee. This orphanage based family drama stars bloody-eyed Bond villian Madds Mikkelsen.
The Hawk is Dying. Paul Giamatti tries to train a wild hawk. Michelle Williams lends support in this festival drama getting a teensy release.
Live Free or Die Tadpole (Aaron Stanford) and Queen of Inescapable Type-Cast Sarcasm (Zooey Deschanel) star in this wacky indie.

There are other movies opening in LA but if movies can't be bothered to open in NYC they're dead to me.

Wide Release
Meet the Robinsons This could obviously turn out to be fun but it's so busy and hyper looking that it makes me flash back to Chicken Little. That is not a good thing.
The Lookout. Scott Frank (the writer of Out of Sight) directs this weeks HDH Joseph Gordon-Levitt in a crime drama that's garnering very strong reviews. Don't they know it's March and the first few months of the year are reserved for completely crappy movies --can't they respect the studio mandated distribution model!?! Speaking of crap cinema...
Blades of Glory. no, I'm kidding. I haven't seen it. I shall not judge sight unseen even though Will Ferrell (annoying) and Jon Heder (even more annoying) headline as a same gendered ice skating pair (...)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Will Ferrell. If only he'd slow down, maybe he's still have fans. 15 flicks in 4 years? Take a break! No one will miss you, but we'll be happy to see you when you come back.

Dan E. said...

Having seen Blades of Glory, the best thing I can say about it is that it made me appreciate Talladega Nights.

Anonymous said...

I saw The Lookout yesterday. I'm still not quite sure how I feel about it. It had some problems with tone, and I felt a little emotionally manipulated at times (which is one of my major movie pet peeves), but the acting was excellent. Joseph Gordon-Levitt carried the movie without breaking a sweat, and he does bear a remarkable resemblance to Heath Ledger now. Anyway, that's my two cents.

WickedScorp said...

Oh wah, wah, wah!!! Once in a while you have to wait a couple weeks for a film to open in NYC. Big deal. You get more live theatre than you can even be bothered with... and then some. I have to wait a year or more live productions to open here.

Kudos for the Jon Heder hate tho.