Thursday, March 08, 2007

She's Got Legs. She Knows How To Use 'Em


Happy birthday to 86 years-young Cyd Charisse. It must be comforting when you're nearing ninety to realize that you're already immortal. I first fell in love with the very leggy Cyd Charisse from her work in Brigadoon (I wanted her and Gene Kelly to work it out. And maybe adopt me, too) and Singin' in the Rain. I saw both at a young and impressionable age at the historic Redford Theater and I was a goner. It's a place that is very dear to my cinephile heart since it planted the seeds of what grew into this gargantuan obsession o' mine. It's still my favorite place to see an old movie and I try to get there whenever I'm visiting Michigan.

For more reading on the one and only Cyd Charisse, here's a good tribute site and another

But enough with the talking. More dancing! (from Silk Stockings and Singin' in the Rain)

3 comments:

Damian Arlyn said...

Love Cyd Charisse, love Gene Kelly, love Singin' in the Rain and love that whole "Broadway Melody" number, but something that always bothers me whenever I watch it... what is up with that bad edit? You know the one I'm talkin' about and don't pretend you haven't noticed it yourself and that it doesn't bother you either. It happens right at the point that he's lowering her to the ground and then BANG! a whole new position (in the video it occurs when there's about 1:56 left). Always bugs me. Oh well. I guess every great jewel must have a flaw.

SusanP said...

Cyd Charisse also made an impression on me. I recall seeing her at the Oscars (must have been in the last 10 years) and looking quite amazing for her age. She still had the legs! Her dance talent completely blows away any recent on-screen attempts.

NATHANIEL R said...

sure does.

it also helps that the camera lets you see her whole body most of the time. a not-so secret technique that today's directors still get confused about... (or maybe without exception there just trying to cover up for the lack of actual talent?)