Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Red Carpet Lineup

a random sampling of actresses working red carpets this week


The Lovely Laura Linney has been absent from (big) screens this year. I kinda miss her, though having her at the Oscars last February was more than I could have asked for in a way so it's all good. Maybe The Other Man will get a real release next year? This getup makes Katharine Heigl look more matronly than her 30 year old self should look I think. She's not one to hold her tongue so do you suppose she has a few words for the Alliance of Women Film Journalists who recently gave her 27 Dresses their "Hall of Shame Award" for 2008? Speaking of weddings... is Goldie Hawn finally getting hitched after 25 years of...? No, it's just a white dress. All the same Jennifer Aniston is purposely not looking at her whilst putting on her "I'm so happy! I'm really so happy!" face in this imaginary red carpet lineup. You can't see her other hand but I have it on good authority that it was used to send a private yet easily decipheral signal to Joe Reid after this weekend's Podcast.

I think Christine Taylor should be in more movies. Sometimes I imagine Ben Stiller keeps her locked up in their mansion in Beverly Hills only letting her out for his film premieres or for cameos in his movies. I don't understand her career... or lack of. She can definitely deliver the chuckles --even in brief bits like the one she had in Kabluey. Sutton Foster is a rarity. She's a genuinely photogenic stage star who doesn't really dabble in TV or film. If you ever get the chance to see her perform: do so! Here's my two absolutely favorite Foster numbers: "Forget About the Boy" and "I Don't Wanna Show Off"



She's "Astonishing" to borrow the title of her show stopper in that Little Women musical a few years back. Lately she's only been doing big budget screen-to-stage transfers (Young Frankenstein in the Terri Garr role / Shrek in the Cameron Diaz role) which is a shame because she's an actual Broadway draw. These projects don't need stars to sell tickets. It seems like such a waste of her considerable gifts. Meanwhile Julianne Moore was seen on the red carpet looking defiantly and enigmatically wrapped in thought. Was she dreaming up new ways to abuse her screen children? (They have it so rough). Supposedly we'll see Julie in at least three new movies next year. It might be a great year for Moore maniacs if the roles are any good.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, Sutton Foster graduated from my high school. She came to our opening night production of Thoroughly Modern Millie, the musical that made her famous, and there was a Q&A session at the end and everything.

I was SO starstruck. I'm so glad someone else has discovered how talented she really is! COME TO THE FILM SIDE, SUTTON.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you about Christine Taylor. I was watching The Brady Bunch films a few days go - bare with me - and her spot on mimicry of Marsha kind of showed how much potential talent she had for comedy.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I meant interpretation of Marsha.

NATHANIEL R said...

daniel --i totally agree. i think it's one of the funniest performances of the 90s.

Anonymous said...

does goldie hawn realize she's about 87 years old? when will she cut her hair and start dressing age-appropriate?

Anonymous said...

Just out of curiosity, what red carpet was Sutton Foster on?

Joe Reid said...

I'm on to you, Aniston!

Glenn said...

The Brady Bunch Movie is obviously one of the best comedies of the '90s and Taylor is the cherry on top. So so funny.

Emma said...

Oooh, I've never been a big fan of Heigl, but I do love Linney and Moore.

Catherine said...

How tall is Julianne Moore?

NATHANIEL R said...

catherine i made Julie a smidge too short here. oops. She's 5'4"

anon it was the Shrek opening night. Cameron Diaz was posing with her as the two Fionas but I couldn't fit her in.

Catherine said...

No matter. Leave her be, I'm enjoying imagining we're about the same height (5'2")! Haha.

Deborah said...

I think Heigl looks lovely, but Laura Linney got fugged for that dress and she deserved it. And has Jennifer Aniston EVER worn a color?

Anonymous said...

has goldie hawn retired.

Anonymous said...

Moore WAS so good without screen children this year - in "Blindness". What an underrated, powerful performance!!! I can't believe she is getting NO awards and NO nominations these days. Nothing. Neither for "Blindness" nor for "Savage Grace". It definitly was a good year for Moore Maniacs - I think she is back on track because of these two performances. But her next projects... don't sound so exciting, unfortunately.

NATHANIEL R said...

mr ripley i don't think so officially.

Goldie has never been a particular favorite of mine but when she's on she's on and I thought she was pretty spot on in The Banger Sisters i'd love to see her in one last big "on" performance at least.