Snubs are never exactly "surprising" in this often head-scratching category, but if you're talking general profile as a contender, Italy certainly had it. What's more, Italy is arguably Oscar's favorite country in this category. They've won 10 Foreign Language Film Oscars. France, which has had more nominees over the years, is Italy's only real rival with 9 wins.
- Revanche (Austria)
- The Necessities of Life (Canada)
- The Class (France) reopening soon
- Der Baader Meinhof Komplex (Germany)
- Waltz With Bashir (Israel) now playing
- Departures (Japan) *
- Tear This Heart Out (Mexico)
- Everlasting Moments (Sweden) *
- Three Monkeys (Turkey) *
Five of those nine films will be named as Oscar nominees on January 22nd. Israel's Waltz With Bashir (my interview with the director), which has been having a great awards run with BFCA and Globe wins and France's The Class are both eligible in all Oscar categories since they were released within the general US eligibility period. The others are only eligible in Foreign Film.