Sunday, January 18, 2009

New Podcast: On Kate Winslet, Mickey Rourke and Slumdog Millionaire

First things first, big hugs and gratitude to my blog buddies Nick, Joe and Katey who agreed to return to the podcast after your requests for a reunion tour. Please follow those links to check out their home bases.

In the latest episode (53 minutes ~ we couldn't shut up) we discuss Kate Winslet's double win at the Globes, Slumdog fanaticism, our Oscar pipe dreams, the beauty of Brad Pitt, the dogs of Mickey Rourke, the assumed purpose and ultimate futility of Guild Awards and, because we're silly, a remake of A Streetcar Named Desire. "Stellaaaaaaaaaa!"

(Because it's a Globe/Oscar broadcast we're unusually star focused. Also name-checked: Salma Hayek, Penélope Cruz, Leonardo DiCaprio, Anne Hathaway, Gwyneth Paltrow,Frank Langella, Eileen Atkins, JLo, Tina Fey, Renée Zellweger and Sean Penn)

The best option is the iTunes version i.e. the enhanced podcast but you can listen to the simplified mp3 if you don't have an enhanced player.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Urgh... its a shame that you guys feel like Milk might be snubbed for a BP nod... yet Frost/Nixon gets in :-(

Anonymous said...

If Kate Winslet wins 1 Oscar I'll cry for days. If she wins two, I'll kill myself.....

Anonymous said...

Excellent Blog. Last I heard Mickey Rourke WAS Kate Winslet and that's where he was for a while. Now he's finding a proper balance.

OT, but I just saw the Veronika Decides to Die Trailer, and since you're a BtVS and SMG fan, I thought I'd ask what you're thinking about that? Could she have finally made a good career move?

Glenn Dunks said...

I think the situation with the cinematography in The Reader is that Deakins was attached, but then the film got delayed when Nicole Kidman dropped out and he then went to lens Rev Road while they searched for somebody else to cast in The Reader.

But don't quite me on that.

Calum Reed said...

Great podcast.

I agree that Wall-E could get in at the expense of Milk.

As for Winslet, I think it's becoming a lot harder for her to wow people. She rarely gives a bad or even indifferent performance. But like you guys I find myself having mixed-negative feelings about the prospect of a double Oscar win, probably since the films this year (not necessarily just The Reader and Rev Road but generally) have lacked the real passion and originality that I associate with Winslet. It just feels a bit wrong to me.

Catherine said...

Yay! I'm going to do what I always do, which is load the podcast onto my mp3 player and head out for a lengthy walk so I can listen free of any distractions. I usually end up guffawing in public places.

Runs Like A Gay said...

Brilliant podcast, really funny and relaxed group makes for a great listen.

Promise you'll do another one when we have the nominees?

(Then maybe a 2009 Oscar preview in about 2-3 months - I'm over 2008 already)

Mikadzuki said...

What everyone else said. I love these podcasts.

I also liked that you spent quite a lot of time discussing the Cinematography field (one of my favorite Oscar categories). Too bad Christopher Doyle isn't getting much traction for his mesmerizing work on Paranoid Park... but if Harris Savides makes the Oscar list that will have to suffice.

Anonymous said...

I could have done without all of the tired "Slumdog" hatred and sneering, but other than that, a lively and funny listen. Can't wait for the next one!

Joe Reid said...

To be fair, we all consciously tried to keep "Slumdog" talk to a minimum. Out of consideration for everybody's delicate sensibilities.