Thursday, July 23, 2009

Links

Old Hollywood I had no idea that blooper reels existed of old black and white films. It's so weird to see Jimmy Stewart, Bette Davis and Bogie flubbing their lines. It ain't right!
Victim of the Time "a half-child of Disney"
I Need My Fix alerts us to another Worth1000 contest. Check out 'Viggo by Carravaggio' among many others

Fin de Cinema France's young actor Yasmine Belmadi (Criminal Lovers, Who Killed Bambi?) dies.
Topless Robot a 12 year old girl made feature length zombie film? My god I'm so unaccomplished (sniffle)
MTV I was sick to death of hearing about Comic-Con before it even began last night but I am a sucker for James Cameron and I won't be able to resist the Avatar news. This is a 14' tall powersuit from the film.
Broadway World I'm assuming you've heard that Johnny Depp dropped the desire to portray the legendary Carol Channing into an interview recently. Channing responds
It is not a new concept to me. Not at all. Men have been imitating me for as long as I can remember. In fact, most of the impersonations I have seen have had a five o'clock shadow. I imagine, when or if Johnny should portray me, he will succeed.
While you've been reading this post, I've been sitting in a screening room watching Meryl Streep do Julia Child. More soon...

Off Cinema
Loyal K*N*G this is fun. "Fast Food Mafia" artwork
FourFour sums up Lindsay Lohan TV movie Labor Pains for you.

9 comments:

NicksFlickPicks said...

re: Old Hollywood bloopers - There is a great montage of these on the DVD for The Man Who Came to Dinner. In fact, the blooper montage is much better than the feature. Barbara Stanwyck is memorably (and predictably) funny and rough when she gets a line wrong.

Chris Na Taraja said...

I thought Johnny already did Channing in WILLY WONKA! Ok, maybe that was the love child of Carol Channing and Michael Jackson....but I don't think Michael actually sired Johnny Depp.

Nate said...

Speaking of Johnny Depp, who just portrayed John Dilinger. Why is there a museum in Indiana honoring John Dilinger? Wsn't he a murderer and thief i.e. Gangsta and Thug.

If this was a Black Man I could here it now, " oh those Blacks love to glorify gangsters". Anyway just saw this on the news and the news reporters were talking about it as if it was an exciting and joyous occasion and I was a bit confused.

The film was okay btw.

Comic Con, I haven't really noticed don't do MTV news much.

Carol Channing is love!

Catherine said...

I'm equally charmed, baffled and scandalised by those Golden Age blooper reels. Actually, that's a lie; I'm mostly charmed. I'd seen the Bette Davis one before on that Jodie Foster-narrated documentary about her life, but the rest were totally unknown to me. And Nick, I've found a few scant clips of Stanwyck flubbing lines on YouTube - no idea if they're the same as on your dvd - but you're right, she's so delightfully coarse.

Catherine said...

Oh, it just occured to me how amazing gag reels from the screwballs would be. Bish, plz. Can you imagine footage of Hepburn and Grant yelling at each other nonsensically? Irene Dunne goofing up her "Gone with the wind" skirt lifting routine? Roz Russel tripping over her quickfire lines? Does such footage exist?

Derek said...

AHHHH Julie & Julia report ASAP!!

Unknown said...

please DO write down all your thoughts on the movie and most importantly MERYL! :P can't wait, really...

Alison Flynn said...

@Nate: you're absolutely right. I share your bafflement.

Bill the Butcher doesn't have a museum dedicated to him, however after Gangs of NY played apparently a brand-new shiny head stone was put on his grave in the cemetery where he's buried in Brooklyn. The butcher has the nicest headstone in the whole graveyard.

jess said...

J&J : so-so film, great Streep = Oscar nom, lose it to a hot young thang