Monday, February 09, 2009

Movie Art: Aliens

How fun is this illustration? It's by Dave Perillo and I stumbled across it this morning...

"Get Away From Her, You..."

Not what I was looking for at all but lifted my morning. Funny how the internet is often so hopeless at providing specific answers but brilliant at giving you random things you didn't know you wanted. But want them you did.

Aliens (1986) is arguably my favorite action film of all time (yes I argue with myself) and James Cameron has been on my brain all week. It's a combination of things but 2009 is undoubtedly a major year for Cameron nostalgia and actual Cameron what with Terminator Salvation opening in May, The Sarah Connor Chronicles returning to television next week and Avatar, Cameron's actual comeback scheduled for Christmas. Perhaps once we get past Oscars, and Film Bitch Awards, We Can't Wait, four new interviews, the "British Actresses in Contemporary Pictures" week (yes you read that right) and the annual Oscar Symposium -- How dense are my plans here, anyway? sheesh! -- a Lt. Ellen Ripley / Sarah Connor retrospective is called for???

You may be wondering if I ever sleep. The answer is sadly... no. I do power down on occasion to run scans and repairs... but sleep? That's for humans.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome bit of artwork, there!

I think Avatar is going to be the film I most risk dying of excitement for this year, after Watchmen. I saw BOLT 3D yesterday, and the foremost thought in my mind was, "This 3D's pretty good...but Avatar's going to blow it away!"

Michael Parsons said...

Is it too early for your April fools predictions?
rename it the February Morons or something.
I mean this is a boring year Nat...why not spice it up?

Anonymous said...

When can we expect your final Oscar predictions?

Kurtis O said...

Just when I thought your cinematic tastes couldn't be any more in sync with my own, up comes this post, covering a film/topic you don't often address. "Aliens" IS my favorite action movie of all time. No argument about it.

Anonymous said...

when are you going to get back to We Can't Wait?

NATHANIEL R said...

michael --feb is to early for april fools

anon -- this weekend

anon 2 -- tonight I think

selfstyler -- i hope avatar blows us away but there's so much riding on it. Why doesn't he just make movies more often (sigh)

Anonymous said...

if you do an lt ellen riply retrospective i'll kiss you all over.

Anonymous said...

and amy adams?

Anonymous said...

It's funny you should post about this, as I just finished watching "Terminator 2: Judgment Day" Sunday on DVD, which is "arguably" one of my favorite movies. Has J. Cam even done anything since "Titanic"? I can't recall.

NATHANIEL R said...

he has. but they've been like imax docs or something. can't quite recall.

no traditional narrative features since Titanic.

Cinesnatch said...

Michael Biehn ... hummuna hummuna ...

canvas art said...

What do you think of the Avatar movie?