Anyway, for fun I thought I'd dedicate a post to the dozen acting Oscar winners who won when they were 33 years of age. Why? Because it's all about Kate Winslet right now! Here they are...
- Harold Russell, The Best Years of Our Lives (1946... the only man! they make them wait longer. He was also the first disabled Oscar winner if my trivia is correct)
- Olivia DeHavilland, The Heiress (1949... second Oscar)
- Donna Reed, From Here to Eternity (1953)
- Sally Field, Norma Rae (1979)
- Meryl Streep, Sophie's Choice (1982... second Oscar)
- Jessica Lange, Tootsie (1982)
- Geena Davis, The Accidental Tourist (1988)
- Emma Thompson, Howards End (1992)
- Juliette Binoche, The English Patient (1996)
- Julia Roberts, Erin Brockovich (2000)
- Catherine Zeta-Jones, Chicago (2002)
- Kate Winslet, The Reader (2008)
No Best Actor nominee has ever won during his Jesus year. In fact no actor who has ever risked playing Jesus has won an Oscar either before or after that Only Begotten Moment (and that includes actors as acclaimed as Ralph Fiennes, Max von Sydow -- whom I interviewed and asked about the "spiritual thread" in his career, Willem Dafoe and Christian Bale all of whom you'd think would have a statue by now) so maybe it's an Academy curse.
If I am struck by lightning after posting this, I'll try to film it so David Fincher can use it in his next movie.
If your Jesus year is still ahead of you you can use this trivia as a goal post. How will you work towards winning an Oscar by then? Make a plan and get busy! If you're older than 33 try not to feel desperately unaccomplished.