Thursday, February 05, 2009

We Can't Wait #16 500 Days of Summer

Directed by first timer Marc Webb
Starring Zooey Deschanel and Joseph Gordon-Levitt
Synopsis Boy meets girl, boy and girl like each other, boy falls in love, girl doesn't quite yet.
Brought to you by The Sundance Film Festival
Expected Release Date July 24th

Whitney: Here in Salt Lake City, July 24th is "Pioneer Day," and I will be spending my Pioneer Day seeing 500 Days of Summer. Not only is the cast adorable and fairly trustworthy (All the Real Girls and Brick being two of my favorite recently released films) but this seems to be a romantic comedy done right. My husband and I covered the Sundance Film Festival for Film Threat and he got to see 500 Days of Summer. He's a romantic comedy person by nature (whereas I'm a horror gal), but he said it was the best one since Love Actually. That sounds pretty good.

Nathaniel: I'm suspicious. Are you sure you got that synopsis right. How does one not quite fall in love with JG-L?

Fox: If I was a kid and heard that a film called 500 Days of Summer was coming out, I would be ecstatic! Think about how over-the-top lovely and seductive a title like that is. It's like "300 Presents for Christmas", "800 Puppies on Your Birthday" or "2000 Coffee Dates w/ Nathaniel".
Hold tight Whitney... it's only 176 days until 500 Days of Summer!

Joe: I had started following this movie back over the summer solely because I liked the of Zooey Deschanel and Joseph Gordon-Levitt headlining a movie, and I called them "Joooey" because I am also the kind of gay that means "lame."


But then I was pretty well knocked out by the trailer, and the word out of Sundance (including raves for JGL) has me very, very excited to see this. Even the negative reviews were saying things like "too precious," and I always end up liking those kind of movies.

JA: I've been in love with Zooey ever since she told that old lady to get peed on and I've loved JGL ever since he trolled for gay sex in a park bathroom. So these two seem like a naturally fun fit. Skinny emo indie kids in love! Watch them warble and bat their big eyes! I know that sounds smart-assy but I really can't wait to do just that.

Fox: I have spent the last ten minutes trying to figure out if "Joooey" should be pronounced like "Joe"-"ey" or "Jew"-"ey". I've never seen three Os in a row before and it's kind of freaking my sh*t out!

Joe: The preferred pronunciation of Joooey is "Joey," but you have to hold on to the "oh" sound for a little bit.

Nathaniel: Too precious ???


In case you missed any entries they went like so...
*
We Can't Wait:
#1 Inglourious Basterds, #2 Where the Wild Things Are, #3 Fantastic Mr. Fox,
#4 Avatar, #5 Bright Star, #6 Shutter Island, #7 Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
#8 Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus, #9 Nailed,
#10 Taking Woodstock,
#11 Watchmen, #12 The Hurt Locker, #13 The Road, #14 The Tree of Life
#15 Away We Go, #16 500 Days of Summer, #17 Drag Me To Hell,
#18 Whatever Works, #19 Broken Embraces, #20 Nine (the musical)
intro (orphans -didn't make group list)

*

16 comments:

Dame James said...

And to think that two weeks ago I hadn't even heard of this movie. You have to give mad props to that great teaser trailer and the fantastic reviews from Sundance for making me pumped for this movie in the same way I'm sure the fanboys are pumped for Watchmen or Transformers 2.

Anonymous said...

I'm interested purely for J. Gordon-Levitt. He chooses quality roles and hopefully this'll be another winner.

Anonymous said...

I'm guessing tis film didn't make Nathaniel's Top 20...
He doesn't seem too carried away.

Alex Constantin said...

I've just seen the trailer... Oh, so her name is SUMMER... :P that explains it.

it doesn't seem that great to me and the trailer was overdirected, but JGL looks absolutely delicious... kinda reminded me of James Franco in Milk, regarding the hotness level.

Jack said...

I've been following this movie since pretty much it was first announced, since I love Zooey and Joey (lol Joooey) but I didn't even realise the trailer was online! Now I've watched it, I'm thinking it could be the "cool cult indie" of the year - like Garden State or Donnie Darko or Brick. Respected obscurity's the limit for this film!!!

Anonymous said...

Yay, the first movie in this year's "We Can't Wait" series I am also honestly excited about! (Not counting a couple that were only on individual ballots: Up, Chéri and especially the other Sundance revelation that was An Education. If new Harry Potter made it to the top twenty again - while we know neither of these three didn't - I'll be depressed...)

The trailer had me at "This is not a love story. This is a story about love." And it's about time Zooey had a big part in a good film!

Dave said...

I didn't even know about this but I think I'd see Zooey Deschanel in anything.

Plus Summer makes me think of Before Sunrise/Sunset and therefore this film is automatically a romantic masterpiece.

Lucas Dantas said...

from the title i KNEW it was a look-how-indie-i-am romantic-comedy; gotta say those pics annoy the hell outta me ever since "juno" became 15-yr-old emo kids and 40-ish horny men favorite movie [even if they don't get half of the pop cultural references and jokes in it].

however, no matter how much contempt i hold for indie films nowadays, the music video... oops, trailer of this gave me warmness enough to make me wanna see it. plus - i also share this collective crush on j. gordon-levitt.

Catherine said...

Hopefully this won't be another Garden State, but the trailer has piqued my interest (with reservations). I just dig the idea of JGL being in a happy film, I suppose. And I looooved that tiny clip of him strutting by the water fountain.

Anonymous said...

Curiosity: piqued. Mostly because of JGL.

But can anyone tell me the artist/title of the song playing in the trailer? Someone with better and more diverse taste in music than me?

Anonymous said...

The song is Sweet Disposition, performed by The Temper Trap. They're a very new band, it seems, so don't be too hard on your taste if you haven't heard of them. ;)

Anonymous said...

Yep, just like most of you, they had me with the performers on this one. Joseph Gordon-Levitt apparently can do no cinematic wrong and he was standout in the criminally underwatched "Brick." I thought Zooey Deschanel was great for five minutes in "Bridge to Terabithia" and sank with the rest of the folks in "The Happening" lifeboat. But Lordie, don't she and her sister look great on the big or small screen. Why doesn't Daddy talk an auteur into puting them both in a movie for him to photograph?

Anonymous said...

Thanks Notluke!

Sally Belle said...

I love Zooey and Joseph...but I am frightened by the comparison to Love Actually...a movie I found offensive to women and just plain bad!

500 Days Of Summer will surely be 100 times better.

Seeing_I said...

Zooey gives me bad vibes but JoGoLev is cinematic catnip, so count me in.

Anonymous said...

I like the pairing of JGL and ZD in Manic. Now 500 Days of Summer is much lighter a subject to deal with than Manic, even better, can't wait too. This is official the first movie for summer that I'm looking forward too.