Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Snub-O-Rama

Here lies...

PAUL GIAMATTI, with whom no Best Actor list is complete this year. And, alas, his snub makes my best actor list and Oscars in 0% agreement (down from 100% last year -what a sudden divergence of opinion). I was thisclose to predicting this snub. I felt it would be Depp or Giamatti that was the "snub story" but I got it wrong. Should have gone with the one I'd be most upset about. Than I would have predicted 5/5 for Best Actor which was really hard to do this year. Instead I got 4/5 correct.

UMA THURMAN, the Bride from Kill Bill (Volumes 1 & 2) will go down in movie history just like iconic heroine/divas such as Scarlett O Hara, Princess Leia, Ripley, Holly Golightly, etc... but no Oscar attention will reflect Uma's towering creation, the best of her uneven career (just nudging out her other two sensational performances; June Miller in Henry and June and Mia Wallace in Pulp Fiction.)I predicted she'd be snubbed but the next time I see an Academy voter the camera is going to zoom in on my eyes and you're going to hear that funny/scary furious sound cue that happens when the Bride sees her various nemesis for the first time in each Volume of Tarantino's bloody opus.

ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND. This Best Picture shouldabeen is what the Academy will be most shamed about in future history as not a one of the middlebrow-grand Best Picture nominees can match this movie in tenderness, imagination, structural profundity, resonance, romantic fireworks, creativity, intelligence, or cinematic wonder. Ah well, Singin' in the Rain didn't get a Best Picture nomination and Citizen Kane didn't win and [insert your own Oscar shame here].

So, what do they know anyway?

But congratulations to the nominees who survived the brutal five-per-category cut.

7 comments:

NATHANIEL R said...

1.) Different people serve on tech committes than on the animation committee. which is the only real explanation I guess..

2.) ditto only with foreign.

3.) Who the hell knows? That category is bizarre.

4.) The Phantom miss in costumes really surprised me. I mean they were gaudy and over the top but please, it's not like the sets weren't and they got nominated. I'm assuming it missed because they decided to go "historically accurate" with Alexandra Byrne's nomination and gave it to her for Finding Neverland instead. At least she didn't get a double nom

Anonymous said...

I am upset with this year's nominations, with "Ray" and "Finding Neverland" getting praise, and all.

The following are films and actors who were robbed of recognition, IMHO:

UMA THURMAN!!!!!!! WTF were they thinking?!?!?!
"Mean Girls"
Sean Penn
Kevin Bacon
Paul Giamatti
David Carradine
Julie Delpy
Mark Wahlberg
"Life Aquatic"
Bill Murray
Christian Bale
Billy Crudup
Neve Campbell
Nicole Kidman
Paul Bettany
Bryce Dallas Howard
Laura Dern

PS - Isn't it scary that "Shark Tale" got nominated?

Anonymous said...

Whoops, I forgot Jeff Bridges and Gael Garcia Bernal.

Anonymous said...

Can't believe the lack of nominations for House of Flying Daggers. I mean, I suppose it would've been too much to hope for a Directing or Picture nod, but no Costume, Art Direction, Foreign Film, or Song notes? Come on!

Speaking of song, where did The Chorus come from? And the Globes will officially be no help here, since Mick Jagger didn't even score a nod. My guess is that they go with Phantom now (give it to one of your faves Nathaniel, Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber :)

Anonymous said...

I think that the Academy was right to acknowledge Shark Tale over The Polar Express, even though they nominated it for technical awards. Technically, TPE is a marvel, but as a movie it is dull and creepy. Shark Tale, as bad as it was, was still the better movie. If I had to pick, I would have snubbed TPE too (although I would have replaced Shark Tale with The Spongebob Squarepants Movie).

NATHANIEL R said...

They could have also snubbed The Polar Express with Ghost in the Shell 2. But then, this is the Academy we're talking about. They also dumped Waking Life in favor of Jimmy Neutron (JN is cute and all, but come on...)

Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP imitrex rls Kia sportage top Water beds sites backpacks skateboard kn2lcs amateur fcc license Prarie blouse pattern