Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Whew...

So, finally done with my traditional awards at the 5th Annual awards year of my site. For comparisons sake you can add one nomination to House of Flying Daggers and The Incredibles tally (given that I don't have the animated category or the foreign language one but I'm sure I'd nominate both if I did)

Eternal Sunshine leads with 9 nominations, The Aviator is close behind with 8 (mostly tech) and Vera Drake is in third with 6 nominations. I expect Eternal Sunshine to get at least two Oscar nods (screenplay/actress). Maybe three (editing). I'm hoping for a surprise 4 (Gondry for director -cross your fingers). So it will at least be remembered. Vera Drake, in my opinion, is the film that is really getting the shaft in this awards year. It's a period drama by a former Oscar nominee that features an amazing lead performance... so what gives with all these awards groups ignoring the film? It's not some experimental abstraction like Primer? And ignoring it for what? Don't get me started on the homogeny of the awards groups again.

ah well. At least BAFTA embraced it. And the most important awards of all (in my little universe) --my own...

1 comment:

adam k. said...

Well, there's always San Diego. God bless them. Vera Drake for picture/screenplay/actress and Jim Carrey for best actor. Yay, original thinking!