Wednesday, November 09, 2005

I Am... Who Are You?

I've related before on this blog that I often feel like I'm in a big frazzled Boogie Nights cocaine binge scene --"too many things. too many things"-- only without the cocaine part. Today I have a different character tapping on my psyche.

Yesterday, I was discussing something on the OscarWatch forums and I typed the word "weird" about 4 times within one paragraph. So, today I'm halting with each new sentence. Did I just say that? Suddenly having visions of Tracey Ullman in Small Time Crooks all desperate to increase the 75-cent word count. Remember that? She gets all nouveaux riche (sp?) and starts studying the dictionary to increase her vocabulary. She starts at the beginning with "A" for several guffaw inducing moments. I woke up feeling like I need a dictionary or thesaurus in my pocket today as safety net.

So who are you today? What movie character races through your mind as you prepare for the day?

8 comments:

adam k. said...

Well not TODAY per se, on many a tough day I would often picture myself as Carolyn Burnham in American Beauty in the scene where she's in her car and just lets out a big "AAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!" scream (cue the rock music). That was my way of getting through those days. Other fun moments to reenact from that performance were the slapping herself scene ("you're weak you baby! shut up! shut up!") and again in the car with the "I am not a victim, I am not victim" talk. But really more the big scream... that's what would play in my head.

Nowadays it's more Barbra Streisand in the Don't Rain on my Parade sequence from Funny Girl. Complete with that one-of-a-kind Babs accent. Va-va-voom!

Geez, Funny Girl seriously changed my life. That perf will be etched into my consciousness forever.

Javier Aldabalde said...

Right now I seem like Laura Harring at the beginning of this decade's greatest masterwork (um... sorry), continually floating and lost. Except without the great lesbianic sex.

There I said it. See what you get me into, Nathaniel??? I can't get a hold of myself....

Anonymous said...

I've had a Topher Grace in "In Good Company" thing going on all week...

Rob

NicksFlickPicks said...

I'm rocking more of a Toni Collette in Clockwatchers vibe, even though it's my job to be Robin Williams from Dead Poets Society. Things at l'office are cray.zee., but as soon as things settle, I'll get back to my Julia-as-Erin ego ideal. I think I look nice, Don't make me beg, etc.

Anonymous said...

when i clean i like to pretend i'm ellen burstyn in requiem for a dream (on speed)... it makes it go faster.
when i cook, sometimes i pretend i'm geena davis in the long kiss goodnight... maniacally chopping up vegetables and then instinctively throwing a knife and a tomato into the wall...
also, i find myself thinking of the 'patty' character from 'the jerk' a lot, throwing things in a heap on the floor ("oh, is that where that goes?"), or whenever i hear the phrase "today's the day"...
and finally, i think of kirstie alley whenever i see the bumper sticker 'proud to be an american.'
(with minnesota accent and hand gestures, of course.)

i wonder if anyone knows what i'm talking about.

ben

NATHANIEL R said...

sadly, we probably all do. thank god movie obsessors have an online community.

NATHANIEL R said...

just an FYI to my readers~these are some of my favorite posted comments ever. I'm so excited that i'm not the only one who does this...

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! king sized mattress sale recall kenmore dishwashers aero bed raised mattress