Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Happy Halloween. May I Sleep Now?

I'm exhausted. But before I climb into my coffin filled with soil from my beloved homeland (Detroit) I thought I'd leave you with a few interesting observations about the Vampire Blog-a-Thon, which I would count as a delicious pulsating success. For those who found the list of 5o+ blogs daunting (I'm nearly finished reading them but I've been ignoring all my other responsibilities --yikes) here is an easier way to attack them all: Subject matter!

1970s Stinky Lulu (Blacula) 1980s Eddie on Film (Fright Night) * novaslim (Vamp) * My New Plaid Pants (Near Dark) 1990s Low Resolution (From Dusk Till Dawn) * No More Marriages (Innocent Blood) * * zoom-in (The Addiction) *

Bram Stokers Dracula (Francis Ford Coppola)
Nicks Flick Picks * Catherine Cantieri * Cutting Room *

Celebs as Vampires
Gallery of the Absurd (Kirsten Dunst) * Pen15 Club (Hilary Duff) * All About My Movies (Angelina Jolie ) * Glitterati (Charles Shaughnessy) *

Dracula Titles (Various)
As Little As Possible (Dracula: Dead and Loving It) * Forward to Yesterday (Dracula: Pages from a Virgins Diary) * When I Look Deep... (Drácula & Dracula) Bright Lights After Dark (Dracula, Browning) * goatdog (the dwindling fortunes of Dracula) * 100 Films (Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein)

Foreign Films
Critic After Dark (two from The Philippines) * European Films (Frostbite, Sweden) *

Hammer Horror
Cinema Fromage (Dracula AD) * popbytes (Hammer series) * Certifiably Creative (Countess Dracula) * Peter Nellhaus (Brides of Dracula )

Martin (George Romero)
Silly Hats Only * Richard Gibson * Tuwa's Shanty

Miscellaneous Blood Sucking
Flickhead (favorites) * Stale Popcorn (sexiest) * Burbanked (bloodsucking screenwriters) * Pfangirl (female vampires) * Way of Words (depictions of women) * Music is My Boyfriend (vampire music) * The Horror Blog (an anti-vampire prejudice) * Bitter Cinema (movie trailers) * Agence Eureka (gallery) * Tim Lucas (favorites) * The Boob Tubers (Spike or Angel?) * Film Vituperatum (Ninjas and Vampires -oh the similarities!) * House of Sternberg (short fiction) *

Nosferatu (Herzog)
Modern Fabulousity * Culture Snob * Cinevistaramascope * Jurgen Fauth's Muckworld *

Queer Vamps
QTA (Vampyros Lesbos) * Being Boring (Interview With the Vampire) * Watts With Words (homoeroticism) *

Vampire-Free Films (through a vampiric lens)
Cinemathematics (Shadow of a Doubt) * Auteur Lust (Persona) * Film of The Year (A Fool There Was) *

Some things I found interesting about the blog-a-thon.
  • Plenty of Herzog but very little Murnau (except for a bunch of fleeting references) in regards to Nosferatu.
  • The most frequently referenced film was Interview with the Vampire but it was rarely the main course and the references weren't usually favorable.
  • Very few recent films were covered. Blade, Underworld, Van Helsing, etc... all but ignored. Is this because they all suck? (not in the good way)
  • I thought I knew my vampire films but no... so many of these I MUST see now after reading these writeups (particularly Martin)
  • Lots of films that have no vampires were namechecked. Titles as diverse as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II, Persona, Eraserhead, Apocalypse Now, The Green Berets, Blue Velvet, Marie Antoinette, Last Tango in Paris, and Witness popped up. But you'll have to read through the blog-a-thon to figure out why...

HAPPY HALLOWEEN


16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes yes yes, see Martin! It's everything great independent cinema should be. Tied with (and maybe even slightly edging out) Night of the Liveing Dead & Dawn of the Dead as Romero's best, imo.

StinkyLulu said...

Thanks for a great blogathon Nathaniel! (And for this handy blogathon guide.)

You just too good.

Jason Adams said...

Yes, thanks for putting this whole thing together, Nathaniel! You were, as usual, the consummate master-of-ceremonies! Great fun! Happy Halloween!

Dr. Criddle said...

Is your header illustration from Dracula: Pages from a Virgin's Diary?

NATHANIEL R said...

that it is.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful work, dear! Thanks so much for putting all this together and for inspiring me to rediscover the wealth of bad acting that lurks within Coppola's Dracula.

(shameful voice) I liked Blade and Blade 2. But especially Blade.

richardwatts said...

Nathaniel, its been great fun participating in the Blog-a-thon, so thanks for the opportunity.

Anonymous said...

I both praise and curse you, Nathaniel: praise because you pulled off such a great event, and curse because now I have so many more blogs I have to read. How do you expect me to get any work done!?!

NATHANIEL R said...

hee.

yeah, i actually had to add a ton o the featured blog to my subscription list.

Anonymous said...

Great job pulling it all together, Nathaniel - you've set the gold standard for other A-Thoners to follow.

From your "namechecked films without actual vampires in them" - Witness? Really? Did I miss some kind of Amish/Vampire mash-up?

Bummer.

NATHANIEL R said...

i don't even remember who mentioned it but i read all 54 so it's true ;)

Noel Vera said...

Oy, Blade (which I didn't like) reminded me of two excellent vampire films: Cronos and Blad 2, both by Guillermo del Toro. Y'all gotta see those...

And for the record, my favorite George Romeros are Martin, Night of the Living Dead, and DAY of the Dead (it's his zombie Dr. Strangelove)...

Anonymous said...

So many great articles--thanks for hosting.

I do have a minor quibble. The Addiction is actually from 1995, so it doesn't really belong in the 70s/80s.

I must share in the Martin love-fest. It's so creepy & funny. Speaking of which, nobody mentioned Vampire's Kiss? One of Nicolas Cage's best-

Anonymous said...

of course, I am also an idiot & missed the 90s header. Can I blame it on a vampire that sucked the literacy out of my eyes?

Anonymous said...

Burbanked, I was the one who referenced "Witness" -- the human baddie in "Vampyre" meets his end in means similar to one or more of the bad guys in "Witness."

Since Peter Weir made some films with kind of similar man-versus-the-cosmos themes, seems possible it was what cartoonists call a "swipe."

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the clarifier, Bob!

Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind seeing Peter Weir do a cerebral vampire movie...