Monday, October 09, 2006

Monologue Monday: "Julie Nichols"

I don't know how to say this...

I understand that you weren't able to tell my dad last night. So it'd be better for all of us if I tried to explain it to him.

Look, I wouldn't be honest if I didn't tell you how much you've meant to me these past couple weeks. You taught me how to stand up for myself because you always do. You taught me to stop hiding and just be myself, because you're always yourself.

I'm grateful to you. But....

Well, I just --I just can't see you anymore, you know? I just feel it would be leading you on. It wouldn't be fair to you.

I really love you, Dorothy. But I can't...

I can't love you.

-Jessica Lange, just luminous as "Julie Nichols" in the comedy classic Tootsie, which has one of the best screenplays ever written by committee.

Don't Forget! On October 29th, the monthly Supporting Actress Smackdown will focus on 1982. So rent yourselves some Tootsie, Victor/Victoria, Frances, and The World According to Garp to brush up beforehand. It's more fun when you know the movies and it's a great batch. In the meantime head on over to StinkyLulu's tribute to Jessica Lange's work here .

Bonus: A video clip! Tootsie is pleasureable viewing for about 100 different reasons and 1 of those is that it brought Geena Davis to the cinema. Sure, she's a floundering TV star now but from Tootsie in 1982 through the early 90s she was one of Hollywood's bright lights. This 47 second clip is her delightful entrance into cinematic history.


Tags: blogging, tootsie, oscars, Academy Awards, Geena Davis, Jessica Lange, film, movies, blogs, 1982

3 comments:

adam k. said...

Oh god, how I love Tootsie. "A" all the way. It's one of the very few truly "light" films that I'd call "great."

And lay off Geena Davis already. She won a GOLDEN GLOBE for Commander in Chief; I don't care if it got cancelled. With any luck, she'll win the Emmy for the TV movie and then they'll restart the show. I love her as Mackenzie S. Allen.

NATHANIEL R said...

um... this was in tribute to Geena D. She had quite a run.

Alfred Soto said...

I'd love to see one of you guys reexamine Tootsie in depth, certainly the best Hollywood comedies of the last 30 years (and one of the last?)