Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Final Linkdown

My beloved bloglines -- where I subscribe to hundreds of blogs and websites in case something interesting pops up -- goes the way of the dodo tomorrow. This is the final link roundup as you've come to know (and love / be indifferent to). I'm taking this opportunity to rethink my web reading and start from scratch in terms of what I "follow" since I spend too much time surfing, skimming, reading, wandering. Not that I won't keep sharing things that amuse me. Question: Would you like the Film Experience to have more frequent tiny-ass posts to cover a broad range of news and topics or do you enjoy the major compilations where everything gets smooshed together like so?


The Film Pie has an interesting "inside movie journalism" story about being the 'first' review posted on Rotten Tomatoes (re: Paranormal Activity 2).
Pink is the New Blog Jude Law on Sesame Street. Awwww. I don't get enough Jude Law these days. Or felt puppets. Both at once? Yes, please.
Low Resolution Halloween words of wisdom from Beetlejuice. Speaking of...
The Exploding Kinetoscope has some birthday wishes for Winona Ryder. Could her career be back on the upswing?
popbytes 'Hottie with a Rubik's Cube'. How 80s and now simultaneously.
Everything I Know... is not among the fans of Julianne Moore's Off Broadway musical Freckleface Strawberry.
Blog Stage considers the changes made for Rabbit Hole as it shifts from stage to screen.
Dear Old Hollywood For California readers: The Arclight is hosting a Steve McQueen tribute event on November 11th.

A Toy Story Moment
I thought this was cute. It's a moment of closure for director Lee Unkrich who has been working on the Toy Story franchise forever. If you've ever said goodbye to a long term project that you actually completed, you'll understand.



But this moment would be way cooler if we knew that there'd be no more Toy Story movies after Toy Story 3 which really did close the franchise beautifully. Sadly, Pixar, which once was THE studio for originality, is rapidly becoming like all the other studios when it comes to sequels and franchises and they're going to be beating all their horses way past the time that they're dead (to mangle a metaphor).

Finally, over at Pussy Goes Grrr Andreas made me lol with his love for Cat People. Have you ever seen that movie? There's almost nothing in the world I love more than clever people obsessing over movies. To this day I lol (literally) every time I think of the time Nick, hearing I had just watched Nashville, said "I want to rub that movie all over me." LOL. See, I did it again? It's too bad blogs don't have sound so you could hear. I speak the truth.

10 comments:

Deborah said...

Honestly, my own Google Reader fueled browsing causes me to love the one-topic posts. With the link-a-rounds, I tend to leave them open in a tab hoping I get a chance to go through them all.

Michael said...

I love link round-ups ! There's always something for everyone. But I'll follow this blog regardless of link round-ups.

richard said...

i like both big and little posts. but since you asked, i like being able to match up the pictures with the blurbs. and a lot of times, the picture is what gets me to read the blurb. so perhaps instead of a group of pictures and a group of blurbs, each picture could be right next its corresponding blurb for easy determining of what interests the reader and what doesn't. but that's just me.

Faith said...

I love this type of post! I understand the need to pare things down a bit, though. Try Google Reader!

Ryan T. said...

Love the link round-ups. I mean I read a lot of blogs also, but there always seems to be SOMETHING I missed and they always seem to end up in one of these posts of yours. Of course, it's your blog so do what you gotta do. Not like I'll stop coming here if the link round-ups stop. Happy Halloween!

cal roth said...

I like all your posts, but I feel you should focus on spending more energy with your pending projects. Reviews, BPFTOI, Moulin Rouge (remember that?). If you tease, go on and deliver.

But you can do the way you want. This blog is wonderful anyway.

NATHANIEL R said...

cal -- yeah, i want to get back to everything. As soon as this site redesign is finished... (ugh)... but the point is once everything is easier to update and keep track of and find, hopefully i'll be able to concentrate on writing rather than upkeep.

BLAAARGGGGH (anyone who has designed a website will be able to amplify that blaarrrrrgh for themselves)

Glenn said...

I love the link posts. I have a core set of sites and blogs that I visit and then rely on recommendations through posts such as this and twitter and facebook.

Lydia said...

Hi Nathaniel, interesting blog & good post. overall You have beautifully maintained it, you must submit your site for free in this website which really helps to increase your traffic. hope u have a wonderful day & awaiting for more new post. Keep Blogging!

NicksFlickPicks said...

Why does Lee Unkrich have two copies of Baraka on DVD, and in the same drawer? And why does he have Alice in Wonderland at all? Please to explain.