Saturday, November 27, 2010

Links

Low Resolution "22 Short Thoughts on Burlesque" #20 is an idea for a sequel that I would entirely fund myself were I a gazillionaire even if I knew I'd lo$e it all. That's how badly I want it to exist.
Boing Boing Forged Disney Art on eBay. You really can't cheat with Ursula, the sea witch; people are way too obsessed with that bitch, you know?
Cinema Blend Michelle Williams as Marilyn, again.
Dear Old Hollywood revisits Joan Crawford's early residences in California.
The Hollywood Reporter in praise of Lesley Manville (Another Year) and the Best Actress race. (Though I must say I think the consensus about locks and slots is kind of a mess. I think no one is safe beyond Bening & Portman as there's 5ish strong contenders for the other 3 spots. Thus, no safety.)
Serious Film laments the non-adaptation of Harry Potter books in the making of Harry Potter films.
Nick's Flick Picks talks up 10 films he liked more than you'd expect. Yet another example of how generous of spirit my pal Nick is, while never losing his critical acumen.


Jeff Bridges - Style Icon GQ has a slide show. I love this photo above wherein he's reading something generically titled "Western Story" given that there is a noticeable west/southwest line running through several of his movies (though he was born and raised in LA which we don't really think of when we think "Western"). FWIW, True Grit starts screening in force in about one week's time so you'll be hearing a lot more about it here and elsewhere soon.
GQ That's part of their "Men of the Year" issue which also features James Franco & ScarJo.

Offscreen Hilarity
Confessions of a Book Fiend by Grant Snider
Hyperbole and a Half "Dogs Don't Understand Simple Concepts Like Moving". I seriously got the giggles while reading this - the very audible giggles. Trying to surpress them for the benefit of my Thanksgiving guests who were still asleep from their food comas did not work. My apologies to everyone roused by my cackling.

2 comments:

Brian Z said...

Glad to see I'm not the only one who absolutely adored Andy Garcia in City Island.

Paul Outlaw said...

Nat, I say make it a whole burlesque club district: one rival club would be run by Madge and her protegée would be [anyone but Britney]; another club would belong to Paula Abdul with her pet Mya; Janet Jackson would have one with Rihanna as her baby star; and RuPaul would preside over the gay club with Jake Spears as her minion. That's the sequel for me (and I haven't even seen the first one yet).