Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Back in New York

I realize my presence is an abstracted one. It matters not to you where I post from so long as posting happens. But I'm back in Manhattan after a clear my head trip to Connecticut. Just sharing is all...

I already posted about Manderlay. Nick and I also watched Louis Malle's lemon-scented shapeshifter Atlantic City(1980), the Natalie Wood headliner Inside Daisy Clover(1965) which is a dark Hollywood fable. The real mystery of it is how Ruth Gordon managed a supporting actress nomination for it. She's barely in it and the other featured woman (someone I'd never heard of called Katharine Bard) acts circles around her in this messy but intriguing picture. Finally we screened the glitzy Auntie Mame(1958) which I hadn't seen in well over a decade and which Nick had somehow never laid eyes upon.

5 comments:

NicksFlickPicks said...

Your presence is certainly abstracted up here in Hartford! Am I really supposed to watch Merle Oberon in The Dark Angel by myself??

Had a blast with you, and agreed with you on every single movie. And history. And hottie.

Anonymous said...

So did you two dislike AUNTIE MAME? If you did, don't tell me. I want our friendships to survive.

How could you dislike Rosalind Russell? Is it humanly possible?

NicksFlickPicks said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
NicksFlickPicks said...

You knew this was coming, but I'm the grouch. I like the first hour a lot. Russell's a hoot, and her line reading of "MISTER Babcock, Knowledge is Power!" is worth the whole movie, especially in context. Great stuff in that New Haven theater. Great colors and costumes. If the movie had ended there, all would have been bright in my world. Can I leave it at that? xoxo.

NATHANIEL R said...

gabriel I like Auntie Mame. don't worry.