Thursday, April 13, 2006

This. That. Other Things.

This
One more tidbit on my trip to Connecticut: Nick had these books 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die, 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die, etc... As you can probably surmise I can probably finish off the movies I'm missing from the list before I die --maybe even before I turn *cough* 40. The books? Unless I live to be as ancient as Methusaleh it's not. going. to. happen. But I was somewhat surprised to see that I had read 25 of the 1001 books featured. I'm not surprised at how low the number is but how high. Sad, right? Maybe if I stopped reading Inside Oscar over and over again I'd free up some time?

That
Please go and vote on the 2006 best picture poll if you haven't. Today is the last day to do so. I'm curious to see if general consensus predix for next year's top Oscar contenders is more accurate than my stab in the dark.

Other Things
Some link love on this Thursday...
The Tin Man on three new Broadway musicals.
Cinemarati on that awful Writers Guild list.
The Self Styled Siren loves Dodsworth. As do I. One of my all-time favs.
Looker on the real William Shawn (not the one played by Bob Balaban in Capote)
PopBytes debuts a music feature. Cool.
Twitch on the depressing news that the Weinstein Co. is playing the Miramax game --buying Asian films and then not releasing them. But nobody has yet answered my eternal question: why do Asian producers/filmmakers sell the rights to the Weinsteins when everyone knows this is the case? Willful self-delusion? Greed?

6 comments:

qta said...

I've only read 79 books on that list... and i am in the first year of my PhD program in English...

Anonymous said...

If the online list I found accurately reflects the book, I've read 90.5 of the books (halfway through Powell's twelve-volume Dance to the Music of Time). I can't find the movie list online. How many of the movies have you seen?

NATHANIEL R said...

i didn't actually count the movies. I just knew I was doing fairly well there while flipping thru.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I've got those books too!

I've seen something like 700 of the films, but only read something like 20 of the books. I've sworn to catch up on my reading though and it seems to be working so far. I've read 3 books since buying the list one a couple of months ago. The last time I read (and finished) 3 books in a given year was probably when I was 12.

It's a clear formula by now: if you want Goran's attention, make a list.

Glenn Dunks said...

I've probably read about... 2 books from that list. i just don't read novels. I'm a visual person.

It's kind of scary to think you could've actually seen all 1001 movies on the list. Nat, are you actually going to sit down and watch stuff like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre? Or have you doneso already.

Fact - I have the entire 1001 list typed out in a word document and as I see one I bold the title. I'll get there eventually. As of my current count I've seen 258 (although I have skipped a couple or I might not have highlighted some I have seen). I have about 100 titles I haven't seen on my BigPong queue. And the rest... well, I'll get to them eventually. I really wanted to see Dodsworth after reading it in the book.

I purched the revised edition (i have two copies of the book) and they put Lantana in. And i love that movie so bloody much.

Glenn Dunks said...

Yeah, reading through the book list I found I think I've read about 3. Lol, how sad. Although - i HAVE seen the movie versions of about 80 of them, so that's something!