Monday, June 18, 2007

20:07 Twins (Sunrise, Sunset)

Twins - "20:07" Gemini Edition June 11th to June 20th
Twin screengrabs from the 20th minute and 7th second of related movies
(Thanks to Nick for the images and text grabbing)


Jesse (Ethan Hawke): Describe for me your first sexual feelings towards a person

Jesse: What brought you back here?

Celine (Julie Delpy): I'd finished my masters, for one. And no visa, no more visa. Anyway, I was starting to get paranoid about all the violence in the media. Gang violence, murders, especially serial killers.

But the final straw was, one night I heard some noise on my fire escape, so I called 911, and the cops came eventually...

Jesse: ...yeah, like three hours later...

Celine: Yeah, after I had been raped and killed about ten times...

(Jesse laughs and basks in her glow)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

God, I love those films. I saw them both for the first time very recently. It was interesting how little she had changed (physically) and how ravaged he looked.

That scene in the car in the second film is completely devestating and raw. It's hard to watch because it doesn't feel like just acting - it feels like the complete baring of two souls. And the ending of that film - you want so much for these two people to end up together, for your yearnings to be satisfied as well as their's. That the film never takes the easy or expected route is part of the pain as well as the pleasure of watching living, intelligent cinema.

(For those who want those two characters to end up together, the compensation is their scene in Linklater's "animated" film Waking Life, btw. But, you already knew that, Nat.)

RedSatinDoll

Glenn Dunks said...

I saw Before Sunrise the day before I saw Sunset. The latter is especially dreamy, but Sunrise is great too (perhaps a tad too long).

NATHANIEL R said...

i also think sunset is best and sunrise is a smidgeon long.

together they're a masterpiece

Unknown said...

I thought Before Sunrise was beautifully acted and beautifully written. I did not expect to love it as much as I did.

I thought the ending was flawless.

Unknown said...

I'm sorry, I was talking about Before Sunset!

Maybe Tom Cruise can help me with this dexlexia thing.

Marius said...

Julie Delpy! Ethan Hawke! They both gave wonderful performances. Thanks for posting this, Nat.

Beau said...

*swoons*

i could revel for days in the warm glow of these films.

Deborah said...

Sunset has a flawless ending.

I very much enjoyed Sunrise, but I didn't get the "Casablanca of its generation" thing. Cuz I'm old or something. But it was good and then Sunset was AMAZING.

Anonymous said...

Oh God. The movies of my life.

Anonymous said...

Not to be shallow, but Ethan Hawke really hasn't aged well. It gives him more gravitas though.