Sunday, June 17, 2007

There Will Be Teaser



Interesting. This teaser for There Will Be Blood, Paul Thomas Anderson's (Boogie Nights, Magnolia) first film in five years is entirely focused on Daniel Day-Lewis's character "plainview". I love the cut to the shot of Paul Dano, who was once rumored to be playing his son, right after he says these really misanthropic things. Maybe this is a teaser version of the singular characters poster trend (previously discussed) that is so prevalent now ? If it is perhaps Paul Dano as Eli Sunday will have his own teaser soon and more characters from There Will Be Blood will also emerge.

It's a genuinely odd teaser. Not following the rules at all but I like it like that. I like marketing to surprise me rather than ruin a movie for me. Make me curious and then get out of my way...

previous There Will Be Blood salivating

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't want to tell you too much but...Paul Dano is not playing his son. He's playing the son of someone he knows.

Kris said...

PTA cuts his own trailers, so I wouldn't chalk this up as an artistic win for Vantage marketing by any means. Still, a great change of pace.

Anonymous said...

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant teaser!

This truly looks like the work of a genius. And Daniel Day-Lewis looks amazing. Hopefully this will be the "motion picture experience" of 2007!!

PTA - I bow before your feet :)

Anonymous said...

Even in this teaser Daniel Day-Lewis is chilling. I felt like I saw some shades of Bill the Butcher in there too, which is awesome.

PIPER said...

This is a fantastic trailer. What great writing. What great lighting. I haven't seen stark lighting like that since the days of Coppola.

Brilliant.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, but this movie looks incredibly dull. However, I will not judge a movie by its trailer