Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Hump Day Hottie: Jason Isaacs

I thought I'd recognize a birthday boy for today's weekly eye candy --no, not me. I wish. It's time to celebrate Jason Isaacs, frequently employed but rarely discussed actor, who is 44 today. He's hotter than he was at 43 which was hotter than he was at 42 which was hotter than he was at 41 which... well, you get the picture. We should all be so lucky.


It's sad to me that there's not any specific performance I can point to to justify my love for this Jewish actor from Liverpool but I blame that on the kind of movies he ends up in (Elektra --ewww!) the company he keeps (Paul WS Anderson, director of 'classics' like Resident Evil is reportedly his best friend and they work together a lot) and the lack of diversity in his roles: filmmakers love him in villain mode which you can see from his gigs in Harry Potter (as Lucius Malfoy), Dragonheart (as Lord Felton) and The Patriot (as Col. Tavington) among others.

I personally don't care for him as Lucius Malfoy but I blame that on the silly blonde wig and the lack of depth to all the roles in that magical franchise. The point is: It's never Jason's fault! I can hate the hair but I can't hate Jason. It helps that he has a sense of humor and calls it "my Paris Hilton wig". Mr. Isaacs seems at peace with his sinister Hollywood typecasting niche saying in interviews
There is a streak of cruelty in me...

Now he doesn't always play a villain. Sometimes he's a priest, soldier, or the husband of a more famous actress. But more often than not those piercing pale eyes, that dark receding hairline, and his dangerously masculine vibe inspire evil thoughts... and thus, perhaps, evil roles. But whether he's in buttoned up or savage mode --or both (as he was in his dual role as Mr. Darling / Captain Hook in Peter Pan, 2003) --I'll take him.

Wouldn't you?


[editors note: These photos are borrowed from two great Isaacs fansites: here and here]

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd do him...villain or not

Unknown said...

it's my birthday today too!!!

SusanP said...

Yeah, I'll take him. Twist my arm.

Anonymous said...

He was good on West Wing. ;)

Aaron C. Thomas said...

This guy is one of my all time favorite actors. I think his work in Nine Lives is absolutely breathtaking. And I think he's outstanding in Peter Pan. I would seriously watch him in anything.

Anonymous said...

Jason Isaacs is awesome. He should be an Emmy nominee this year for "Brotherhood", but he won't get it. And he's ridiculously hawt as always.

Alanna said...

I'd take him even with the silly blond wig. And he's a Jew! Even better. My father will approve.

Becca said...

Yes Jason is the best...but he claims the Malfoy wig was his idea. He said he walked in and they had a completely different look ready for him and he talked them into the Paris Hilton wig.

Still wig or no the man is very good looking!

Vulnerose Valkyrie said...

Jason's a fabulous actor no matter what role he plays. Whether he's the villain or the good guy he always seems to fall perfectly into his character! I simply adored him as Colonel William Tavington of the Green Dragoons. He was bloody brilliant in The Patriot! I admit this: Though he plays an innocent very well, I love to see him act like a sadistic bastard. It's simply exciting. I would take Mister Isaacs any day, though our age difference is so noticeable.

Jane the Fool said...

I just NOW got around to seeing the film "Peter Pan" that came out in 2003. Hey, I'm so busy writing books and so forth that I rarely EVER get to watch movies. Sorry. But, I'd like to say that Jason Isaacs is THE sexiest Captain Hook I ever set eyes on. Woo hoo! He can plunder MY treasures anyday! He's hotter than Hades!

Anonymous said...

This is a nice picture so looking beautifull he is a best actor.