But first, a few thoughts on where we've been and the sidelined women who helped us get there. If I voted today on my film bitch awards, the five Supporting Actresses would be drawn from this group of eleven. Evening pulls into harbor very soon with about that many actresses in tow. But I don't feel like waiting...
- Laura Dern and Regina King -Year of the Dog
- Ljubica Jovic Fraulein
- Leslie Mann -Knocked Up
- Rose McGowan and Marley Shelton -Planet Terror
- Archie Panjabi -A Mighty Heart
- Sylvie Testud - La Vie En Rose
- Olympia Dukakis or Kristen Thomson -Away From Her
- Sigourney Weaver -The TV Set
- Dukakis -Away From Her (former winner)
- Fonda -Georgia Rule (legend. they'd demote her to support)
- Mann -Knocked Up (comedic spot & hit film)
- Thomson -Away From Her (empathetic ... and to avoid the genre perfs)
- Weaver -The TV Set (comedic spot & celebrity)
But let's be real. The AMPAS voters don't vote halfway through the year and none of these women will survive to make the Oscar cut come January. The fates of supporting performers are very dependent on the overall reception of the picture they appear in and the lead performances they enhance. We haven't seen one of our Best Pictures yet.
Do you have a favorite 2007 supporting actress yet? If so sing her praises in the comments. Make your case. [My updated Oscar predictions]
P.S. StinkyLulu & gang are also talking supporting actress (albeit for 1978). It's a real sibilant spectacle: Stinky's Seventies Smackdown: Streep. Stapleton. Smith. Check it out. I hope to return to that smackdowning party next month.