Friday, June 29, 2007

8 (½) Things Meme

So... I wasn't going to do any more non-movie memes but I got tagged twice for this 8 things meme --which I'm rechristening 8 ½ just to amuse myself with something cinematic -- by two people that warm and wow me with their wit and unshared enthusiasms (that is to say: both are obsessed with different things than me. My basic rule of thumb is someone is definitely worth reading if you find those obsessions you don't share suddenly involving despite your previous lack of interest)
  • All right, here are the rules.
  • We have to post these rules before we give you the facts.
  • Players start with 8 random facts/habits about themselves.
  • People who are tagged write their own blog about their 8 things and post these rules.
  • At the end of your blog, you need to choose 8 people to get tagged and list their names. Don’t forget to leave them a comment telling them they’re tagged, and to read your blog.

01 I am terrified of kangaroos. Weird but true. This is why I've never been to Australia. Well, that and the money. If someone wants to fly me out I'll come and carouse but please do not let me see one of them hoppers. K Thx!

02 In grade school whenever a teacher thought a student was cheating I always felt guilty even though I was never the one cheating. I had an overactive guilt mechanism.

03 I've always wished I was less uptight.

04 I played tennis regularly in high school. It's the only sport I'm good at.

05 I've been to LA only twice. The first time I was there I bought one of those star maps and drove with friends to Olivia Newton-John's estate. Once we got there I spoke into the security cameras at the gate and said something completely fannish and obnoxious. Later I felt guilty (see #2) since I know Olivia is scared of obsessive fans having been stalked by someone in the early 80s who claimed he was going to "marry her to God" ...creepy.

06 Remember that improbable scene in A Chorus Line where the teenage boy is so ridiculously naive that he mistakes his nocturnal emission for the "milky white discharge" of gonorrhea.
who have you been with my son?
no one.
than how can you have gonorrhea?
That exact same thing happened to me. I was h-o-r-r-i-f-i-e-d when I saw A Chorus Line for the first time. Let us never speak of it again.

07 I wanted a stripper for my 30th birthday party (held on a rooftop with a gaggle of friends) so two of my buddies arranged it. The stripper cancelled the day of the event so one of them improvised and did the stripping himself much to the surprise and inebriated delight of all of our mutual friends. There are pictures. And no, you can't see them.

08 I have a pierced belly button (see #07, well actually... the night before)

½ In the middle of sentences I sometimes completely zone out and...

[Tag you're it: Cinephilia , Low Resolution , Thomas & Co , novaslim , And Your Little Blog, Too , Anything But Poetry , I Don't Like Renée Zellweger, and Artifacts]

6 comments:

Glenn Dunks said...

Yay! You'd already told me about the kangaroos and Olvia things.

I continue to get enjoyment out of telling foreigners that kangaroos hop around suburban and city streets and that they're like feral cats.

People believe me and it makes me laugh.

Y Kant Goran Rite said...

I've lived here for nearly a decade, I've seen a kangaroo like 4 times, 3 of them was in the zoo, one in a national park, and I think it was a wallaby

Glenn Dunks said...

No! We must make sure people think we have kangaroos hopping around our city backyards. It's funny that way.

Y Kant Goran Rite said...

I retract my statement. In fact I live in a hut and ride my kangaroo to school every day.

NATHANIEL R said...

I KNEW IT!

p.s. who's buying my plane ticket to australia?

J.D. said...

Well, people here in Niagara Falls drive Barrel cars, burn people that didn't die after being thrown off the waterfall, and have a GREAT city government! Like, yeah!