Monday, June 11, 2007

HBO

Today and tomorrow at Zoom In I'm discussing new HBO seasons. [Programming note: I'll cover more TV there than I do here for obvious reasons]. The latest, John From Cincinatti, was difficult to write about since I sometimes didn't know what I was watching. Jake Gyllenhaal's bff Austin Nichols plays the title character but the story is about a surfing family. The review is pretty lengthy and I still couldn't find a way to work this in: There's a couple of scenes in which I suspected that Rebecca DeMornay (playing the surfing family grandma) was doing some avant garde channeling of Ellen Requiem Burstyn. I closed my eyes to make sure. Yup, "Sara Goldfarb"'s vocal cadences, accent, rage... it's uncanny. And then it vanishes again. It would've freaked me out more but it's just a drop of weirdness in a whole bucket of nutty. (the review)

7 comments:

Cinesnatch said...

I am still waiting for HBO's "12 Miles of Bad Road" with Lily Tomlin.

Cinesnatch said...

"Big Love" starts tonight!!!!!!!!!!!

NATHANIEL R said...

yeah. i'm reviewing that tomorrow at zoom in --they sometimes assign stuff but I like Big Love (mostly) so it's all good

Anonymous said...

Write something about "The Sopranos" finale!

Anonymous said...

Oh yes please Write something about "The Sopranos" finale!! and have a look at http://badmovieknights.com/ when you get time ;)!

NATHANIEL R said...

i have only seen about 6 episodes of Sopranos in my life. so i didn't see the finale. sorry

Anonymous said...

Ugh, that's disappointing.