Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Puny Humans. Hulk Link!

jolly green giant
In Contention thinks The Incredible Hulk is improbably "incredible"
Slant
is not as impressed but thinks the final setpiece is slamming
Movie Marketing Madness
has a lengthy and informative piece on the marketing and release decisions

Strange confession:
Last week I spent a whole 30-45 seconds wondering whether Eric Bana would like it or not. What's wrong with me?

puny humans
Gallery of the Absurd
"Jack Nicholson, Geriatric Gigolo" -make sure to read the whole post --the back of the trading card is priceless
Shoot the Projectionist
looks at the readings of western culture in the abundance of zombie films these days
Zoom-In my review of Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired. Not a new article but the movie has just started airing on HBO.
Club Silencio doesn't like summer movies and dreams of other upcoming releases
Stale Popcorn Glenn finally completes that mammoth "100 Greatest Movie Posters" countdown.

total "Betty"s
NY Times Dave Kehr on DVD sets honoring goddesses Sophia Loren and Catherine Deneuve
Getty Images
Deneuve mourns Yves Saint-Laurent
Reverse Shot
has a terrific review of Sex & The City. I liked the movie a lot more but I'm 100% with Chris Wisniewski on the "corrective" in terms of Samantha's narrative and the disappointingly limited thinking most critics have engaged in
Telegraph has an interesting piece on the same city girls and the 50s film template they spring from. Unfortunately they fall for the whole 'Samantha is a gay man' meme that Reverse Shot warns us off of

6 comments:

Jason Adams said...

Poor Bana. I'll defend Ang Lee's Hulk to my dying breath as an underappreciated gem, I will. Edward Norton ain't fit to lick Bana's shoes! Although I would pay to see that. A lot. More if I had a private audience to it.

Anonymous said...

There's nothing wrong with thinking about Bana. :)

Janice said...

Your Club Silencio and Gallery of the Absurd links aren't working.

I'd say something along the lines of "selling out" re: the Hulk/Iron Man/etc hype and tie ins, but I think I'm in the wrong place to do that. (Really, why would anyone want to create a nostalgia for what was, as I recall, a pretty cheesy TV show?)

NATHANIEL R said...

fixed

Janice said...

thanks, That Jack trading card is TOO funny!

Eddie Hardy said...

Hey, thanks for the link to my zombie essay!