Sunday, June 22, 2008

Summer Lovers


I'm of the opinion that Vicky Christina Barcelona should open on the hottest day of the year... just wait for the temperature to rise and then click, drop this baby into theaters. It it's August 15th (the intended date) so be it. The new poster feels sunny, vibrant, and randy in that beautiful people 'doing what comes naturally' way. If the movie is close to as breezy, sexy and lively as the casting and promotional material promises, Woody Allen will have an even bigger hit than Match Point on his hands. And if that happens maybe the marketing departments can stop being so embarrassed when he makes a movie? This "Hide Woody's name!" directive started way back on Anything Else and who wants to live in a world where Jason Biggs is considered more saleable than one of the best writer/directors of all time. Even if said writer/director has had a long rough patch. I still fear that "coming soon" may end up meaning "we plan to change the release date several times!" rather than August. Oh, that the studios hadn't taught me to be so cynical.

9 comments:

Robert said...

Love Woody, love Javier and Penelope and Scarlett. And I semi-agree that the poster looks good.

Then again, I think, make it black and white and suddenly thats an Abercrombie ad.

Anonymous said...

i don't understand why they don't want people know this is a woody allen film. some people do hate him, but please, he is woody allen.

and call me optimistic, but i really believe they will open this film on august and make me very happy about it.

Anonymous said...

hey nat, have you listened to scarlett's anywhere i lay my head?

Anonymous said...

That poster is making me wet. Seriously gorgeous. Hopefully one day all three of them will have an Oscar of their very own.

(And I'm going to pretend that Javier won his for Before Night Falls.)

Anonymous said...

Javier just won one this year. (So yeah, you already can pretend it's for BNF or whatev.)

Anonymous said...

Is Scarlett the new Mia ?

Glenn said...

I hope she's not. Cause that'd mean a lot of things that I don't want to picture ScarJo and Woody involved with.

Also, this is the most excited I've been about an Allen film. My cinephelia has developed over the years that Woody has been seen as "out of commission", but now having gotten a decent amount of Allen films under my belt and now with a film that's supposedly quite great the anticipation is sky high. I'm particularly looking forward to Cruz's crazy wife character.

Duncan said...

Speaking of Mia...I'm totally digging the Rosemary's Baby-esque yellow gingham that ScarJo's rockin'.

I agree, let this Woody film come out on the hottest day of the year. It just screams "hot rich summer trip abroad!"

Anonymous said...

Good Job!: )