Wednesday, June 04, 2008

The Hall of Presidents' New Additions



This being an election year (don't worry Nathanial, I'm not going to get political - just ponder portrayals) and Nathanial's trip bringing back memories of youthful excursions to the Hall of Presidents, my thoughts have turned to Presidents on Film ("two minutes later" ). Only one is among the top five most portrayed historical figures in film, Abraham Lincoln. The full top five, including number of portrayals is: Adolph Hitler (68), Vladymir Lenin (77), Abraham Lincoln (133 - but if you count portrayals in documentaries then many, many more), Jesus Christ (151) and Napolean (182).


John Kennedy was the only President portrayed in a film in current release when he died, that film being PT109, starring Cliff Robertson as Kennedy in World War II.


So now I'm thinking, if when the inevitable cable movie gets made about the nomination battle between Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama (you know it will be) who will play these two prominent politicians? I've already got my nominees. For Clinton, one possibility is Amy Poehler. They could age her and she could add a wry humor to the portrayal. Susan Sarandon is already the right age and a formidable actress and Judy Davis is a favorite of mine. She doesn't look anything like Hillary but she didn't look much like Judy Garland either yet they made her up and she passed it off. I think they'd all do a terrific job but my frontrunner is Amy.


And for Obama? I'll go with Tim Russ. Who's Tim Russ you ask? He played Tuvok on Star Trek Voyager and he's a pretty good actor who doesn't get a lot of work. Two other top choices would be Don Cheadle and Joe Morton but I like rooting for the underdog and since Russ isn't as widely known perhaps it could become a breakthrough role for him.


Look for it soon: Primary Reckoning, starring Amy Poehler and Tim Russ. "In the race for the nomination, crossing the finish line was their primary concern."


********


UPDATE



Hmmm... maybe Shirley Jones is the best choice.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don Cheadle doesn't look anything like Obama,but I guess Tim Russ is alright.

Greg said...

Amy Poehler doesn't look much like Hillary either (as does neither Sarandon or Davis). I'm putting my faith in Hollywood make-up artists.

Who would have ever thought Charlize Theron could look like Aileen Wournos?

Anonymous said...

Poehler is good enough for SNL, but not for a biopic. She has never quite reached down and gotten Clinton's resonance...the low timber of her voice.
I'd like to see them hire a real actress anyway.

Greg said...

Well Sarandon could definitely do it. I would hope maybe we could discover something more with Poehler if given the chance and often times a biopic might let actors explore areas previously unknown.

But despite my reach with Poehler, I'd have to say the best possible actress for the job, imo, would be Sarandon.

The Pretentious Know it All said...

Harry J. Lennix would be perfect for Obama. If you don't know who he is, do a quick google image search and you'll agree with me that there's no one else. As for Hillary, I don't know...I think Debra Winger could pull it off.

Greg said...

I think you're right. I was unfamiliar with him until now but his bio has him at almost the same age and he's from Chicago to boot. Good choice.

Anonymous said...

Tuvok for Obama; I Love it.

Kate Mulgrew for Hillary??? lol

Greg said...

Kate Mulgrew - How in the hell did I not think of that? It was right there in front of my face the whole time. That would be worth watching. Voyager reunited!

Anonymous said...

Why not just give it to Meryl Streep and see her kick ass in the role?

But I would support a Tim Russ/Kate Mulgrew dream ticket. It's actually pretty perfect.

Marshall said...

Sharon Stone and Dwayne Johnson. You know it to be true.

Greg said...

Meryl Streep, Sharon Stone and... uh ... Dwayne Johnson ... are all fine and good but I think I'm now sold on Russ/Mulgrew. It really is a dream team. Someone get this greenlighted!

Marshall said...

lapper listen to the voices. If he lost a few pounds Dwayne Johnson (The Rock) would be perfect.

Greg said...

I do have voices in my head but they're saying something else entirely. Right now they're telling me to go to bed. Sometimes they tell me I'm pretty.

The Jaded Armchair Reviewer said...

Great thinker for the one who came up with the Kate & Tim ticket. But have any of you seen Tim Russ not play Tuvok (or play Tuvok when he's possessed by something)? His acting can turn pretty scary like, you wouldn't believe the things that are coming out of his mouth AND how he's getting away with saying them in that way.

Hey now, I guess thinking of it that way, Tim Russ WOULD make for a good Obama.

Anonymous said...

Shirley Jones as Hillary

Greg said...

JS - I love on all the Star Trek shows when the detached thinking character (Spock, Data, Tuvok) would go out of character they would always overact in the extreme.

Greg said...

If Shirley Jones were only a bit younger because she is practically a dead ringer for Hillary.

Anonymous said...

Hope Davis for Hillary Clinton. Without a doubt.

Greg said...

She can definitely act and with a little age makeup, she might look just right too.