Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Gina Gershon on Showgirls: The Musical

With so many movies becoming stage musicals, you know Showgirls, with its obsessed fanbase and inherent theatricality, gets talked up as a prime candidate for transfer. Here's what Gina Gershon ("Cristal" herself) has to say about a Broadway musical version of her most famous role:
Originally I had an idea to do that and I was talking to a couple of people to write it with me. But it wouldn't be Showgirls as we know it. It'd be Showgirls as told by me, which really --you think Showgirls was good? You should have seen what went on behind the scenes. So, I would mix up my own weird thought patterns with what was going on with Showgirls. I haven't written it yet. I had to talk to Joe Eszterhas about it. He seemed to like it but I haven't gotten around to it and I'm not sure if I'm going to get around to it.

It's funny in my brain...
Incidentally, she doesn't list Showgirls as one of her own favorites from her filmography, though. Her top 5: The Insider, The Player, Face/Off, Bound and Prey for Rock and Roll. [source]

One can only imagine the songs they'd write for the show. The dance numbers must be transferred as is. But imagine the backstage sequences! Cristal gets all the show-stoppers: "Darlin'", "I'll Buy Her For You", the first act closer "We Take the Cash, We Cash the Check, We Show Them What They Want To See! and the second act showstopper "Too Old (For That Whorey Look)"

I Y Showgirls. Click the Showgirls label below if you used to love doggie chow!
*

4 comments:

Brian Darr said...

I'm not so sure what I think about a stage musical version, but I'm excited that it's summer and Peaches Christ's season is soon to begin, here in San Francisco...

Anonymous said...

Um, she picked Face/Off over Showgirls? If memory serves, I'm pretty sure the former is MUCH worse than the latter. Touche.

M

Glenn said...

I imagine Nomi's big number would be "Not Without My Cornchips" or "Nails! I Have Many!"

Walter L. Hollmann said...

Wasn't this supposed to have its big premiere in Vegas? I think I remember Eszterhas talking about it in his last book.