Monday, June 09, 2008

Do the Right Link

More exciting news for everyone.

Big Screen Little Screen tells us about unofficial (but that's good enough for me) reports on Paul Thomas Anderson's next project. It sounds like a bit of a return to Hard Eight territory. You know, that P.T. Anderson movie that no one has seen. Oh and someone somewhere is dropping Jack Nicholson's name too.

The great Spike Lee/Clint Eastwood war of words continues. If you didn't know, allow me to bring you up to speed. Spike commented on the lack of African Americans in Flags of our Fathers. Clint told him to "shut his face." And now Spike is making with the plantation allusions. Ooooh does anyone else smell an Oscar red carpet smackdown? That should rock the ratings. Guardian Unlimited keeps us in the know.

Meanwhile the A.V. Club reports that a Brokeback Mountain opera is being commissioned. And dammit, if opera can't convert the homophobic masses than nothing can!

At Sunset Gun, Kim lists her favorite movies about Hollywood. And it turns out, and this is quite shocking, Hollywood is not the most fabulous place on the planet. This list of movies is pretty fab though.

And finally Coming Soon has an extended clip from Wall-E. Don't get me wrong, I'm super psyched for this, but isn't it also just more proof that the industry is obsessed with movies about schlub guys getting women waaaaay out of their league?

7 comments:

Greg said...

Robert - After reading the whole Guardian story I have to go with Lee, whose comments about black servicemen on Iwo Jima not being shown seemed pretty mild until Eastwood made the "shut your face" comment. Eastwood's the one who blew this one up.

Robert said...

Of course, on the flip side, Eastwood is allowed to make the movie he wants, and just because he didn't have a black character certainly shouldn't be contrued as any sort of intentional racial statement.

But I tend to agree with Lee also. I think there needs to be an historic context to his statement too. When The Longest Day came out in the middle of the civil rights movement people complained that there wasn't a single black character.

And Spike is smart, he knows his history. Perhaps he's ironically trying to say "look how far we've come"

Anonymous said...

Team Clint!

Lee's race card is so worn you can see right through it. PR baby! He has his own WW2 movie to sell, after all...

Janice said...

//Don't get me wrong, I'm super psyched for this, but isn't it also just more proof that the industry is obsessed with movies about schlub guys getting women waaaaay out of their league?//

I think I made a similar comment a while back on the last Wall-E post; and I'm with you on all counts Robert - I'm looking forward too it, but it reminds me of a remark my sweetie made while we were watching The Interpreter on the big screen: "Why do the guys in movies get to be wrinkled, ugly and old while the women all have to be smooth and perfect?"

Why, indeed?

Janice said...

//Don't get me wrong, I'm super psyched for this, but isn't it also just more proof that the industry is obsessed with movies about schlub guys getting women waaaaay out of their league?//

I think I made a similar comment a while back on the last Wall-E post; and I'm with you on all counts Robert - I'm looking forward too it, but it reminds me of a remark my sweetie made while we were watching The Interpreter on the big screen: "Why do the guys in movies get to be wrinkled, ugly and old while the women all have to be smooth and perfect?"

Why, indeed?

Anonymous said...

I am so with Clint on this one. He didn't just say he should shut his face. He also gave an entire explanation about the entire thing. Lee very clearly stated that Clint willingly omitted them, which I highly doubt given that he has worked with multiple black actors and has praised them many times. Actually, I think Lee fucked it up for himself since he started talking about plantation. Not everything is about race ... his race card indeed has become very tiresome. I really think he is one of the most racist people in hollywood; he's so fixated on it it's not even interesting anymore.

NATHANIEL R said...

that's so funny that wall-e also fits neatly into the schlub & beauty school. i hadn't even thought of that.