Friday, June 20, 2008

Linksburgh

MNPP celebrates Kathleen Turner's birthday yesterday (yes, I forgot. I suck. Sorry Kathleen!)
Webster's Is My Bitch "stuck up" Reese Witherspoon. Hee. I love that blog
Good Magazine really cool auteur tribute to Hal Ashby (Harold & Maude, Coming Home) by Alexander Payne, David O' Russell and more...
The House Next Door a post-mortem on SIFF. "Worst Film" goes to Mysteries of Pittsburgh. I'm telling you... I've been considering joining the boycott. I will probably never watch this on account of the depressing liberties it takes with a great novel that didn't need liberties taken.

NY Asian Film Festival begins today. Concludes on July 6th. See something wild... like Takeshi Kaneshiro as an angel of death with a talking dog. --->
Best Week Ever "Why Are These Famous Men Crying?"
i09 has a piece on that new HBO vampire series Tru Blood starring Anna Paquin (with screen caps)
The Editing Room Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (snarky abridged script)

And under the "I wish I'd written that" banner please enjoy this Wanted post from Piper @ Lazy Eye Theater which contains the following unassailable truth and hilarity:
Let's pause on this cat-like look. Look at that determination. That fury. I just want to roll around naked with her.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love these link posts, but they send me spiraling down the same dangerous path that Wikipedia does. Hours later, I'm clicking through pages about things completely unrelated to where I started, and I have 50 tabs open in Firefox...

NATHANIEL R said...

I know! I should probably ease up. I have the same problem

Drew said...

Re: the Mysteries in Pittsburgh review: I actually have spent the last 45 minutes reading N.P. Thompson's articles, only because it astonishes and amuses me that someone can be so narcissistic and hateful over the cinema. Does he even like movies?

Anyway, I can't condone jumping onto the anti-Mysteries bandwagon as a result of his review. When someone is that overwhelmingly negative, it's difficult to glean any sort of value from his opinion.

Boyd said...

Thanks Nathaniel for the link to the abridged Indy screenplay... that was hilarious!!

NATHANIEL R said...

But Drew this isn't the only piece on Mysteries of Pittsburgh that details the complete excoriation of a brilliant novel which is the kind of novel that inspires deep personal connections in its fans. It's a sad state of affairs that this novel was so misunderstood in the transition.

PIPER said...

Thanks for the link Nat.

It only seemed appropriate that I officially declare my love of Jolie - and nothing does that better than the line you called out.

Frank Anthony Polito said...

Thanks for the shout-out to the MOP Film Boycott! The group has actually moved to here.

If you still have doubts and want to read the screenplay, email me: bechstein[at]yahoo[dot]com

--Frank Anthony Polito, author of BAND FAGS!