Monday, June 02, 2008

Disney-less Linkage

Robert here, giving you all the news that's fit to link while Nathaniel is off enjoying Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. Unfortunately, nothing Magic Kingdom related today.

Sex & the City is tops at the box office, and Katey over at Screener is as "shocked" as I am that women actually go to see movies. Men of the world, I say fight back. Only 46 days until The Dark Knight opens. It's not too soon to call up your friends and plan your Batman and cosmo parties.

Not Coming to a Theater Near You starts a month-long tribute to documentarian extraordinaire Frederick Wiseman. Sounds like a great place to start if you're like me and "finally gonna start watching some documentaries soon... I swear."

Comingsoon.net has the new Incredible Hulk trailer.
Twitch has the new Burn After Reading trailer.
I'll let you decide which one looks like more laughs.

While visiting Mount Rushmore, Senator Obama asks how Hitch and crew got all the way up top to film North by Northwest. The Self-Styled Siren takes issue with the media reaction. I say, "Don't worry Senator, on his first day as President, Ronald Reagan asked to see the War Room (from Dr. Strangelove)."

And finally Moviehole tells us that Elizabeth Berkley has signed on to star in the sequel to Donnie Darko. No word if she'll be bringing any of her Showgirls moves to Sparkle Motion.

8 comments:

E Dot said...

I personally loved 'Sex and the City', but is it me, or was Jennifer Hudson's character the modern equivalent of a mammy? Just there to clean up the pieces. On top of that, was it necessary to make the only black girl (sista, if you will) the only one who can't afford a purse AND the one who flees back to St. Louis when her man proposes?

I can't wrap my head around it...

E Dot said...

P.S. Sorry for the people who haven't seen it...

NATHANIEL R said...

well i think the character is more a descendant of the problematic "magic negro" tradition than of the Mammy line.

but it did feel a little obvious in terms of trying to expand the SatC demo. I noticed also that the film's soundtrack and even it's opening theme were trying to go a little hip hop which felt odd since the series was never like that musically and always about the ultra specific world of these 4 white rich 30something women. It's like if Woody Allen suddenly ditched the jazz or big band numbers for a more contemporary

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth Berkley in Donnie Darko Part 2??? That's so sad...

Anonymous said...

do you doubt her commitment to .... (you know the rest) ?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I totally loved "Sex and the City," and have loved the show when it first began, and I thought that "Sex" was just kissing. I was 7.

This "Donnie Darko" spin-off is making me ill. You cannot get any better than pure genius, and if there is not possible way to top the first film, what's the point of the second? Hell no, count me out.

"Burn After Reading" - one of my most anticipated films of the year, and I will not be watching the trailer.

I saw "Incredible Hulk" today, it was actually awesome. Some laughs, but they were intentional.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pre-vacation link, Nathaniel! I'm going to be baffled for a long, long time at the outright confusion and fear men have shown about this movie. It's just a larger-than-average chick flick! Women go to movies! I don't understand how this is still surprising.

Anonymous said...

Whoops, just realized I thanked the wrong person. Sorry Robert!