Remember when it looked for a millisecond like she might get an Oscar nod for playing Julia Robert's sassy sister in Something to Talk About back in 1995? Stealing scenes from Julia might seem like a hard thing to do and commendable, too, but it pisses Academy voters right off. One must not pull focus from their Pretty Woman!
Future Julia Roberts co-stars consider yourself forewarned! If you steal a movie from the billion dollar grin, you will get media attention. You will get a Golden Globe nomination. But, come Oscar nomination morning, THE BIG SNUB AWAITS YOU.
the case evidence:
- Sally Field, Steel Magnolias (1989)
- Hector Elizondo, Pretty Woman (1990)
- Dustin Hoffman, Hook (1992)
- Sophia Loren, Pret-à-Porter (1994)
- Liam Neeson, Michael Collins (1996)
- Kyra Sedgwick, Something to Talk About (1995)
- Rupert Everett, My Best Friend's Wedding (1997)
- Hugh Grant, Notting Hill (1999)
There is reason to believe that this golden curse has been broken: Natalie Portman and Clive Owen (Closer) and Philip Seymour Hoffman (Charlie Wilson's War) all survived pulling Julia's focus in recent years, trading in their Globe hoopla for coveted Oscar nominations. But that said Natalie & Clive won the Globes but still lost the Oscar. So, I still say that Javier Bardem ought to watch his back on the set of Eat, Pray, Love if he wants another run at Oscar in 2011.