- Dyan Cannon, Heaven Can Wait
- Penelope Milford, Coming Home
- Maggie Smith, California Suite
- Maureen Stapleton, Interiors
- Meryl Streep, The Deer Hunter
My vote would go to Maureen Stapleton, who served Woody Allen's Interiors perfectly, breathing unruly uncouth life into the staid emotional terrain. She also won the StinkyLulu Smackdown for 1978 a couple years back. But in truth none of these films are anything like "fresh" in my memory. What's your take on that '78 Oscars... how would you rearrange the nominees?