Saturday, February 20, 2010

Kiki Dunst is Turning Japanese. I Really Think So

I've been waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and (well you get the picture) for things to turn around for Kirsten Dunst. I've loved Kiki long time. Somewhere in the middle of building a rep as one of our best young actresses the public began to turn wildly against her, spurred on by uncontrollable Gyllenhaalism (how dare she dump him?) and snowballing Mary Jane Watson fatigue.

So I'm totally happy to point you to this video "Akihabara Majokko Princess", a collaboration between artist Takashi Murakami and director McG in which Kiki sings "Turning Japanese". Pointed you towards paparazzi shots of this online awhile ago and have been waiting for the actual video to show up. It's a bit NSFW since Murakami loves cartoon nudity.


Watch Kirsten Dunst "Turning Japanese" in Music | View More Free Videos Online at Veoh.com

Her voice is processed here but if you've ever watched the end credits of The Cat's Meow you'd know that she is one of the actual movie stars that they should look at for film musicals. In other words, girl can sing. You can read an interview about this project here. I love it when celebrity actors do weird left field projects inbetween movies. Not that she has all that many movies in the works...


But things will turn around. They will. They must.
*

16 comments:

amir_uk said...

I saw this as part of the Pop Life exhibition at Tate Modern last autumn! Awesome hilarity! She's taking the piss and the best way to view it is to take the piss with her (I sneaked some clips of the installation on my iPhone). My sister and I couldn't get the song out of our heads for days after!

Rodrigo the Hated One said...

You are absolutely right about her in The Cat's Meow, I actually was thinking about her when I watched Nine and said to myself... what could have Kirsten Dunst do in Kate Hudson's role?

whitney said...

I'm glad you like her, too. I'm constantly defending her to my hipster friends. She's cool and they're dumb.

Anonymous said...

I misssssss her so much :( Kiki was so fresh and natural.

Part of me thinks that Lindsay just took her buzz, but since La Lohan set fire on herself maybe its time for Kristen to come back.

MRRIPLEY said...

I have long been a dunst hater till watching intervieW with the vampire the other night and realising all that talent in a little girl must blossom once womanhood hits - IT HAS TOO!!!

Adam said...

"Marie Antoinette" was a great showcase, it's just without the monologues and such to grab her immediate attention. Movies like "Dick," "Virgin Suicides" were perfect for her.

Dunst actually just directed her first short film. Still in post-production I believe, but sounds like an interesting subject -- sort of a subversive modern religious parable. The girl's got talent for sure.

Wayne B said...

YES she will! I'm sure Sofia has another great role in the future for her. Wonder how she'll work with Gosling in "All Good Things."

Anonymous said...

Isn't 'Turning Japanese' some kind of euphemism for masturbation?

Cinesnatch said...

Nobody loves anything more than a great fall, than a great comeback.

Cinesnatch said...

... I never liked Kirsten Dunst up until "Marie Antoinette." That film made me reconsider my disdain for her. I'm still waiting for something to substantiate this consideration.

Peter Chan said...

Is it Kiki's special way of telling Sofia Coppola that she wanted ScarJo's part in 'Lost In Translation'?

tim r said...

I was completely entranced by this in the Tate Modern's Pop Life show, on a huge hi-def screen. I had to be dragged away! It totally made me want to see her in other stuff again, which I can't say the recent films have. Elizabethtown, anyone?

Louise Tripp said...

The link doesn't seem to be going to a video.

Anonymous said...

have you guys seen Drop Dead Gorgeous? It's a smallish film she starred in like 10 years ago, it's hilarious.

NATHANIEL R said...

Louise -- they took it down so i've embedded on the post

Janice said...

That is soo ridiculously catchy! I have a feeling that's going to be stuck in my head for a few days. Thanks for embedding it, Nat.

I may be wrong (I've had a weak spot for Kiki since Interview with the Vampire), but she strikes me as too smart and self-aware not to get her bearings. She's - how old? Her 20's? That's when you're supposed to be "finding yourself" right? Only she's had the misfortune of going through that in front of the whole world. I really think if she follows her "out there" bohemian impulses (and says FU to Hollywood), she'll continue to create an extraordinary body of work.

Or so I hope.