Friday, July 27, 2007

Now Playing

Howdy, folks, JA here, trying out one of these here Now Playing posts that Nat so lovingly gifts us with every Friday... forgive me if I miss anything!

L I M I T E D

Arctic Tale - So where are these so-called environmentalists when Queen Latifah's out here narrating fart-jokes over footage of struggling polar bears? I mean, don't polar bears have some sort of lobbying group that they could put an end to this sort of representation? Give the dudes a little respect, they're totally worthy.

This Is England - An auto-biographical tale about a lonely kid and his flirtation with induction into some skinhead gang in the 1980s. I don't know for sure, but think we might find out that - shh! - hate is bad!

W I D E

Who's Your Caddy? - I caught some of Ferris Bueller on TV a few weeks ago and lamented to the boyfriend the fall of Jeffrey Jones (who in 2003 plead no contest to, according to IMDb, "one felony count of employing a minor for purposes of taking sexually explicit photos" and "was placed on a sex offender register"), thinking I'd never see him again (only now, looking at IMDb, do I see he was on Deadwood). Then suddenly there he was, in the trailer for this Caddyshack rip-off... and it made me very sad. Jones was a constant presence in Tim Burton's films - most memorably for me as Charles Deetz in Beetlejuice - and he was fantastic in the under-appreciated Ravenous... he's one of those guys who always fills out the screen, making a picture far more interesting, and while I don't think his conviction should keep him from working again, if he's forced into making this sort of dreck... sad.

The Simpsons Movie - Ho-ho-Homer and the Funky Bunch take over Planet Earth. Resistance is futile. I mean, who knew A.O. Scott was a total Simpsons geek?

I Know Who Killed Me - We've all seen the I Know Who Killed My Career mash-up, right? Did anyone else have a clue that this was actually opening this weekend? I had no idea. The last I knew Lohan was talking about taking stripper classes and there were some pictures of her in stripper clothes... and then Lindsay had some, uh, extracurricular troubles... and now suddenly the movie's coming out? I don't know.

No Reservations - Catherina Zeta Jones and Aaron Eckhart cook up a souffle... of romance! I know this is the wrong blog to say this on, I should keep these sorts of opinions to MNPP, but I am creeped out to the Nth degree by The Zeta and fear for sweet little Abby Breslin having to spend time with her. I'm scared for Eckhart too, actually. In truth, I feel a little more nervous for the entire world on a daily basis knowing this gorgon is out there, somewhere, waiting to tear the fabric of time and space apart with her demon-fangs. Ahh, letting that out I feel better.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who's Lindsay Lohan? I kind of remember that name...

Marius said...

I do NOT plan on watching Who's Your Caddy? I won't be watching Lindsay's movie either.

Anonymous said...

I miss Jeffrey Jones too. He was genius in Amadeus.

J.D. said...

I want to see I Know Who Killed Me. I know it'll be stupid, but I'm curious... and I'm scared...

Unknown said...

The Dallas Morning News gave I Know Who Killed Me an F. An F! Heck, Chuck and Larry got a D. No wonder Lindsay got f**ked up for the premiere.

Anonymous said...

Nate, in some small way hearing praise for Jeffrey Jones' work in RAVENOUS (and praise for the film itself) from someone I consider to be a legitimate film commentator, after 8 long years, gives me a feeling of true vindication. He is truly amazing in that film.

Do you happen to have the soundtrack? I would highly recommend it, if you can find it. Very strange and delightful music by Albran and the gang. You will find yourself spinning it a lot.

Anonymous said...

Oh apparently this was posted by JA, so props to you sir, instead. Who the hell is this though, what's going on? I feel like I just pulled a Robert Downey Jr. and jumped into the wrong window and hopped into the wrong bed.

Jason Adams said...

Nat's on vacation til Tuesday, he posted about it at the bottom of this post. I don't know if we could get Nat on the Ravenous train... not so much his cup of tea, I'd guess.

John T said...

I saw The Simpsons Movie yesterday, and I think it, and not Shrek will be taking the "Pop Culture" animated film nomination. At least that's what I'm hoping, as Shrek 3 was complete tripe. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that some Spirited Away/Howl's Moving Castle more artistic animated film will swoop in and take the third nomination (of course, Ratatouille already has the thing won, but getting a nomination's still worth crowing about).

J.D. said...

John T, I'm hoping that as Persepolis. I hope at least...

Anonymous said...

I can tell you Lindsay did this movie for the money, and the money only.
Besides being over rated as an actress, she has no integrity either.
Time to go away and give some young actress with more talent (and probably smaller boobs) a chance.

Anonymous said...

I just came back from seeing the "Simpsons" movie, and it was pretty awesome. It was a pleasant surprise, b/c I was expecting a mediocre, long episode of the television show. Kudos!