Friday, September 26, 2008

Trailer of the Valkyrie

JA from MNPP here, popping my head back into these parts to direct y'all over to Yahoo! where they've got the trailer for Bryan Singer's Valkyrie, in case you haven't lain your eyes upon it quite yet. Or... maybe you don't give a crap. I've heard a lot of that. Snark here, snark there, everywhere a snark snark. And I've certainly had my... doubts. Which is why I'm pretending that Valkyrie will really be something closer to this:


A love story for the ages between Thomas Kretschmann (swoon) and Carice van Houten (double swoon)! Now that's something I could unequivocally get behind... or in the middle of... where ever...

I sometimes think I'm the only person who saw Tropic Thunder and didn't think Tom Cruise was funny (at all; Mcconaughey either dammit) so I'm not quite sure I'm gonna be able to deal with Tom Cruise... like, ever again. Which... well, that concerns me when it comes to whether I will like this movie or not since, in reality (and not the fake Kretschmann/van Houten movie I'm playing in my deranged head) Cruise is in like 90% of the shots in that trailer. He's gonna be present, ya know? Other faces that give me hope do pop up - Pleasure to see you, Tom Wilkinson! Looking good, Bill Nighy! - but I've some very real, very deep soul searching to stumble through before I sit down to the task at hand, it seems.

Or, ya know, I could just shut the hell up, realize it's just a damn movie, and behave like a sane person. Whatevs!
.

13 comments:

NATHANIEL R said...

can i go with you to this imaginary movie because Thomas vs. or does or with or and Carice sounds like one of the best movies of the year to me.

but you know. Bryan Singer so that may dilute the Cruise problem. Because Bryan Singer movies ain't bad.

Anonymous said...

For a film set in Nazi Germany all the actors are oddly speaking in english. Moreoever, Cruise speaks in his American accent, Branagh, Nighy, Stamp etc. speak with an English accent and Carice Van Houten speaks with her native Dutch accent. I acknowledge the fact that in the hollywood pictures of yesteryear it was the norm for dialogue to be spoken in english. But now tastes have changed and generally we demand much more realism from movies today. Though you could say the same for The Good German, except that was consciously modelling itself on past films.

Nathaniel, do you happen to find the language/accent issue distracting at all?

Anonymous said...

I personally think Tropic Blunder..I mean Thunder, is not funny AT ALL. It's just so....blah.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry Nath, you're not the only think, Cruise is lame and not funny in TT.

I only hope this helps Carice for her future career in USA and/or outside. One of the top European (And not British) exportations with the Frenchs Marion Cotillard and Audrey Tautou, Spanish Penelope Cruz, German Franka Potente and Romanians Anamaria Marinca and Alexandra Maria Lara.

Anonymous said...

i didn't think Tom cruise was very funny either. Matthew was funny as hell though.

Anonymous said...

Tom Cruise is my number one problem with this film, too.
Regarding the accents, I don't really mind the lack of German accents, but couldn't they at least have Cruise pronounce German words (more or less) correctly? He has one German ("Führer") word in the trailer and doesn't even seem to try to get it right.

Glenn said...

I haven't seen Tropic Thunder, but I've seen a scene online between Cruise and McConaughey about tivo or somesuch, and I was not amused. Like, oooh Tom Cruise is swearing. How hilarious?

NATHANIEL R said...

i kinda liked tom cruise in Tropic Thunder guys. I mean i didn't love him and he so wasn't anywhere near the best part (that'd be RDJ always in every scene) but that dance was demented and a good joke on that sort of soulless not hip but moneyed cool. i don't know. I get what they were going for at least.

Y Kant Goran Rite said...

"For a film set in Nazi Germany all the actors are oddly speaking in english."

Exactly. God forbid fat people in the mid West would have to read subtitles. Imagine the headache.

This was also my problem with The Pianist. That and the expository dialogue, which would sound stiff in any language.

Anonymous said...

Come on, guys. It's called "translation convention". Spare your energy for fighting for actual subtitled films getting US distribution, not for complaining that movies written, directed and acted by Eglish speakers are spoken in English.

Marshall said...

I think you are the only person who thought that.

Marshall said...

Also what the hell does Midwest and or/fat people have to do with anything? ROMEO & JULIET is set in Italy and yet oddly all the characters aren't speaking Italian. Get real. It's an American movie. I think you'd be surprised how well Foreign films can do among "fat people in the mid west".

Bill said...

Hey, great site about the movie Valkyrie. I didn't enjoy the movie, but maybe you will.

If you're looking for a website to watch Valkyrie online streaming, this is the website for you.

I hope you enjoy watching the movie for free.